Masked Manhunter: Prologue

[Bamontes Diner, Gotham][26th October 2021][18:36]

[26th October 2021]
[18:36]

Jim Gordon strolled down the street outside his favourite diner with his bag in hand, before swinging the door open, alerting the workers with a bell hanging above the door.  He passed by around a dozen or so people who all had exhaustion plastered all over their faces, before finally arriving at the counter and taking a seat on one of the stools.

"How's it going, Jimmy?" His friend, John,  asked, exiting the staff room and heading to the counter to take Gordons order.

"Same old Gotham, nothing new. How about you buddy? How's the diner holding up?" The Detective replied, leaning backwards in his chair to ease his back after a long day of paperwork and computer analysis.

"Could be better but it's gettin' by, which is better than I can say for most things in this shithole city. And its payin' the bills for me, so I can't really complain."  John explained, leaning on the counter to chat. "Now though I'm savin' up to get the hell outta Gotham."

"What?? Really? Why?" Gordon sputtered out in a shocked manner, as this was the first he was hearing of his friend planning to depart the city.

"Come on, bro. This place sucks. I'm only here cus'a the lower cost of livin', but at the end of the day, there's a high chance you won't be livin' anymore. Gotham is infamous for its crime rates being through the roof, and now with all the bullshit inflation, the cost a' livin' is just gonna go up and up."

"I mean, there isn't really a single thing you said there that I wholeheartedly disagree with, but you've been here your whole life. You have two sons here, speaking of which, how're they doing? Rich and Daryl? They going with you?"

"Daryl seems to be alright here. I tried convincin' him but he seems intent on stayin' here for whatever reason, maybe its his pals, or the fact he has a friggin' job interview tomorrow." John said with a grin, as he knew this was the first his friend was hearing about it.

"What??? That's amazing! God, doesn't time just fly by. It felt like just last week he was graduating."

"I know man, that's well over a year ago now, time's gone scarily quick."

"That's great, I'm glad he's doing well in life. Kid's definitely got a bright future. And what about Dick?"

"Nahh, Dick's gonna be staying his mother. He don't wanna leave the circus, not yet at least. Ya know it's his birthday in two weeks?"

"Jesus Christ, how old's he gonna be? How's the circus industry treating him?" Jim asked as he still hadn't had the opportunity to see him perform.

"He's gonna be turnin' 17, and yeah he's lovin' it over there, might end up making it his life. He really, really loves it, and I mean, circus ain't what I woulda chosen to do with his capabilities, but he couldn't be happier so neither could I." John smiled fondly, before piping back up. "How about Barbara? She's gotta be, what, 17, 18 now?"