Part 17

- Mika -

I turned 19 three months later. As I sat on Itachi's lap in the field that the war took place in. He was playing with my hair, telling me jokes. I laughed at everyone of them.

"Mika!"

My head snapped towards the voice. Gaara stood there, his arms crossed, staring at me. A girl stood by his side. Her snow white hair was pulled into a high ponytail, her onyx eyes piercing through my soul. Two samurai swords were crossed behind her back.

"Is this her," the girl asked. "She doesn't look all that bad."

"Be careful, Kouri. Her power is expertly hidden."

"Well then, this should be interesting." She reached behind her and unsheathed her swords. "Come on, girl! Let's fight! Just you and me!"

I stood up and Itachi stepped back. "Charge me then!"

She smirked and charged. Sand came at her from every direction. She skillfully dodged. Raising one of her swords, she swung down. Sand wrapped around the sword and Kouri's arm. I sent her flying backwards. She flipped in the air and skidded backwards on her feet. She growled. Charging me again, her speed quickened. Sand clones shot out of the ground and attacked her from all sides. She tried to keep up. I slammed her to the ground. She fought against the sand restraints. Her swords were far away from her.

"Give it up, Kouri," I said. "You're not as fast as me!"

- Kouri -

I clenched my jaw. Damn! I couldn't equal her speed, and she never even moved! Gaara was right. Her attacks are totally mental. How was I going to protect Gaara if I couldn't even HIT the bitch?! I heard a scream and then deadly silence. The sand restraints fell away. I sat up and noticed Gaara, Mika, and the other guy were gone.

- Mika -

"Finally. Pein's last wish will be completed. Gaara will die as we drain the power from him." I smiled. "It's almost over."

I looked at Kakuzu. Gaara was slung over Kakuzu's shoulder. I didn't feel guilty. Betrayal from family had wiped me guilt out of me. We made it to the lair.

"Let's get started," I said.

- Kouri -

My eyes widened. Oh no. They took him! I couldn't fight the entire Akatsuki. I had to get help! I quickly left for the village hidden in the leaves. Kakashi will know what to do ... I hope.