The Battlefield

13/11/2021

Kind of a continuation of the previous piece but not really sure if it fits in? This was also made with a bit of class feedback so yes.

This is in first person too which was a bit unfamiliar but I'd recommend trying everything to find what fits you the best!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The cold, malevolent air flooded past us in every which way, as if it was trying to express its own confusion at the sudden ceasefire. In one second, the entire world seemed to come to a pause: the rain poured hurriedly cascading into the mud-filled trench, gravitating to my murky glasses. The glasses themselves were nothing special; just a couple of lenses tied together by a knot, enough to help me massacre our foe. Numbing fog rolled in, throwing us all into desperation. Our vision was blocked by nature, almost telling us that it had had enough. The fog was so dense you'd need a knife to cut it. However, we knew that on the other side of this semi-permeable screen, there was someone waiting for us as well. Shadowy figures were discreetly moving towards us, but alas, we could do nothing but gasp in fear. The entire world felt heavy. My heart was pounding. My body grew smaller and before I knew it, ten of us were dead.

Adrenaline rushed through me and my senses became hypersensitive; I could feel the everlasting sound of bullets rush past me; mud squelching beneath every stride I took. My heart was pounding indefinitely. Shotgun pellets tore through me, ripping my soul apart. A blanket of darkness covered my eyes. My breathing slowed and my body grew loose, for my time had come.

The battlefield now remained a graveyard for the un-buried. The sky cleared, and the sun still shone. But somewhere mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters, waited in vain. It became a place for many of us to end our days; to sacrifice in the hope of better days for our loved ones.