Abandoned Town (GCSE DRAFT)

08/11/2021

Made in class as a sample draft test thingy to get a taste of what the final coursework will be like! My other writing pieces have been kind of short, so this longer piece would be more realistic in terms of GCSE. This will not be used as my final coursework piece so feel free to take inspiration!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It all started with an ignition at the derelict factory. The sizzling of the once unlit fuse draped over the grim, dead cement – sparkling and shimmering, it flickered like the corn yellow tongue of a snake, poised in the embers of hatred and havoc. Gloves and socks were forcefully worn, each forced to endure a cacophony of children flabbergasted by the thought of light engulfing the somber space that was the sky.

Cold, translucent, unclear: the air was hazy; a bloodshot, ruby red mist thrown up from the sheer of blood that was split. A combination of red and sapphire blue formed a bubble of orchid purple in the sky, which was ironic to its connotation of peace.

Toxic and harmful smells of left-over gunpowder soon permeated throughout the terrain as a magnificent light filled the dreary darkness. The gunpowder indistinguishable from one that concocted the lungs of enervated bodies into onyx and filled their severed limbs. A glacial pang of pain like the stab of a dagger from a poison well was amplified by the nauseating knot of worms, teeming in quantity, waiting to devour the flies that swarmed the deceased. Tourniquets and bandages were hastily put on, each forced to withstand the tsunami of a ruby ocean Soldiers stared at the sky, petrified by the thought of a fracture of birthstone-bright light, encompassing the smog-filled sky.

Once jubilant children, now laid stiff and cold. Dust began to occupy the lifeless, mute city, where the delighted laughter of many had turned into a sorrowful story. Thick coal black-stained trees arched over the paths; their branches stretching out towards the sky like the fingers of a witch. Leaves were starved of their once lush summer colour while the trunks were thin, crumbling and emaciated. Sand gatherings were sleek, as they followed the wind and the puzzled fragments of glass, deciding where to settle, inspecting every- body, joining in for a while, but would soon be gone. Not that I knew any of it. I was 300 miles away from home, fighting another battle against an unknown enemy.