- Happy Birthday -

TW: Character Death.

--------

April 21st

Carlos woke up to the sound of her rather unnecessary alarm. She groaned in annoyance as she turned the alarm off, as she did so Carlos noticed the date.

April 21st.

Carlos sighed as she got up, quickly making her way to the light switch, and in a quick instant her room lit up. It was too bright for her, but she didn't really care at this rate. Today wasn't a day for moping right now. She quickly slipped on the outfit close to her, which was surprisingly nice, but was full of black and grey colors. She wandered down to the bathroom and brushed her matted hair and putting in a ponytail which was a rare occurrence. The final touch was the prosthetic face. Carlos groaned again, she hated wearing the damned thing. Nonetheless she sighed and put in on.

Carlos frankly didn't know what she would do today, but she knew that moping around and being angry was not an option to take. She stared at herself in the mirror. Those horrific burn scars that covered her nearly head to toe made her remember such events. She was only 10 at the time. She didn't have any family that would take her in, so it was off to an orphanage. Oh how she HATED it there, the kids were so loud, so clingy, so annoying. All but one kid. That was her best friend. Joey Parker.

Joey Parker was born on April 21st and was an energetic but independent child. His passion for swimming was deemed weird by others, but Joey paid no mind. He wanted to be a "swimming pro" when he was older. Joey had been in that orphanage for years when he and Carlos met. Joey was never one to judge, but was a bit too curious about Carlos and her burn scars. The two were inseparable, almost like an unstoppable duo. Joey wanted to become superheroes with Carlos. Obviously that was something that a younger child such as themselves would want to be true. In the afternoon they would go outside and talk with each other, and only each other. They'd talk about various things, like dreams, experiences, all things a child would speak of.

Of course that was all history at this rate. The two had left, not because of adoption, or running away, rather because they were "too old" and deemed "ready for the real world". So they went hand in hand and left. Joey had found distant relatives at some rate and he lived with them, with Carlos too of course. The two were fifteen and Carlos had a job interview, Joey had gone swimming that day, practically pleading that Carlos go with, but she had to decline. So Joey went by himself.

That was the last time Joey would ever go swimming, ever see Carlos, ever see his family. Joey had drowned that day, and it wracked Carlos with such immense guilt. Had she gone with, maybe things would be different.

"Jeez...how long am I gonna stare at myself?" Carlos mumbled and wandered out of the bathroom and back to her room. She pulled out a box full of Polaroid photos of her and Joey. Some was with other people. Then she pulled out the photo taken exactly 3 years ago.

Oh how exciting that day way, Joey's birthday. He had gotten his favorite cake, and presents he wanted for a while. Carlos felt bad that day because she hadn't gotten him a gift, but Joey told her all was fine because sometimes all you need is your best friend.

"Happy Birthday my dearest friend." Carlos said, ignoring that her voice was breaking and that she was on the brink of tears. "I really miss you, but I know you wouldn't want me to be sad." She said, the tears ran down her face. "I'm sorry I couldn't give you a gift." She said, holding the same photo from all those years ago. "You'll be dear in my heart, forever and always, till death do us part. We'll be best friends forever." Carlos cried more and more.

"You truly are the bestest friend I could've ever had. I couldn't ask for anything better."

---- Chapter End -----