Chapter 13

It is finally Christmas!

Growing up, I loved Christmas. I spent the whole day with Mama and Papa. Neither of them had to work. They even gave me the day off from school!

"Any chance you are doing something with that boy today?" Grandma asks me when I walk into the kitchen. I look at the clock to make sure I am not early, she is never in here during my designated kitchen time. She tries her best to avoid me.

I shake my head. "No, he is spending the day with his family." I explain. Cupcake is spending the day with his parents and Mia, I will just have to give him his gift tomorrow.

"You would be too, if you didn't kill them." She rolls her eyes and leaves me alone in the kitchen.

I killed them. I killed my parents. Without me, they would still be alive.

Instead of making my waffles with whipped cream and red and green sprinkles I just grab a bar and go to my room. Cupcake would scold me if I skipped breakfast all together. I'm not exactly in the Christmas spirit anymore.

I flop on my bed, burying my face into my pillow, letting tears flow. I killed my parents. I am the reason they are gone.

When my tears run out, I stare at my phone. Should I call him? I really would feel better if I talked to my Cupcake right now. But it is Christmas. I can't interrupt his Christmas! He is with his family!

He deserves better than to have his best friend calling him crying on Christmas.

I throw my phone a foot or so away from me on the bed, directing my attention to the plain white ceiling.

I killed my parents. I am the reason they are gone. They left me. My parents promised they would always be there for me, but they left. They left me, and it is all my fault.

In just a few seconds my body has somehow produced more tears because they are once again falling. I thought I was all out.

My phone starts ringing from wherever I tossed it to. I know I should just let it ring and ignore it but I search for it anyway.

On the screen is the contact photo I have for Cupcake, one I took of him sleeping on me.

Cupcake can't know I was crying on Christmas! I can't answer! I stare at it as it continues to ring. Then I accept the call.

"Good morning, Princess. Merry Christmas." I hear my Cupcake say. I just love his voice so much!

"Merry Christmas!" I try to say it as a whisper to hide the fact that I have been crying. I can't ruin his Christmas. He deserves so much better than me crying to him on Christmas.

"Princess, what's wrong?" He asks me. I tried so hard to sound like I was fine! How did he know?

"I- I went to the kitchen. Grandma, she- she was in there. She asked me if I was going to hang out with you t-today. I told her that you were spending the day with you-your family. She told me that I would be t-t-too. If- if- if I- I hadn't k-k-k-kill-killed them!" I break down sobbing once again.

I just ruined his Christmas! I am the worst best friend ever! I never should have answered that call!

"Are you dressed, Princess?" He asks me. I already know exactly what he is thinking.

He can't see me, but I shake my head anyway. "You are spending the day with your family. Not me." I demand. I would love to see him, but I can't.

"I'll be there in an hour, I don't care if I have to come and carry you outside, you are not spending your Christmas alone there." He hangs up before I even get the chance to argue back.