Chapter Twenty-Eight

"We thought we lost you," Rosie sobbed after several doctors concluded their examinations. Her arms were around me and while I tried to complete our hug, a single tube attached to my arm kept me from reaching all the way around her.

"Me too," I said, my throat corse. I'd been trying to ease out of her conversation, but she kept me engaged explaining what had happened to me.

I'd expected for a cover story to come out of her mouth, but instead, she'd spoke the truth. She reminded me of the wolves, reminded me of the claws that raked across my torso, and worst of all, she reminded me that I was a banshee. My head spun as I tried to grapple with how she'd known all of this, and decided that Lyall told her everything. Even then, I couldn't buy that she believed it so easily. But before I could question her on it, Lyall's perfect hand tapped Rosie on the shoulder.

There was a strained and uncomfortable tension firing off between them for a moment, before Rosie resigned her position next to me.

"I'll be in the hall," she whispered.

"What was that about?" I asked when the squeaking of her shoes quieted into nothing.

"What was what all about?" Lyall questioned back.

"Between you and Rosie. You two looked... uncomfortable."

Lyall looked over his shoulder and then cupped my cheek in his hand. "Nothing that you need to worry about right this second."

"Just because you say I shouldn't worry about it, doesn't mean I won't," I said, narrowing my eyes.

He deliberated for a second before sighing. "I had to tell her everything. From Mattias's attacks to the pack to Marleene's magick. She demanded to know everything."

"You told her that I was a banshee," I hissed. I accidentally tightened my abdomen and regretted it instantly, the soreness fidgeted me backward.

"Be careful," he warned, but I kept my eyes narrowed and he continued. "I didn't tell her anything about that. She was the one that told me, actually."

My eyes widened in shock, "What do you mean she told you?"

"When we brought you in, she pulled me to the side and immediately told me she knew what kind of monster left that kind of a scar on people. She didn't believe that I was human, or atleast, one hundred percent human. I have to hand it to her though, she was suspicious that I was the one who did this to you, and if I were, to confront a werewolf like that, it takes some real guts."

I slapped his arm, "You wouldn't hurt her."

"Never in a million years, but if I had been some hostile werewolf, I'm sure she would have confronted me anyways."

I let that sit for a second, "She does care, huh."

"And she knows alot too. More than Marleene did, about banshees anyway."

My eyes widened again and I flexed automatically, hissing in pain when I'd moved too much. I waved off Lyall when he tried to find something to help me. "That explains alot then."

"About what?"

"Nothing you need to worry about right this second," I mocked.

"Just because—" he'd started to quote me but I stopped him.

"What happened in the forest? I'd been so sure that I was... and then suddenly, I'm here," I said, leaving out the black hole of darkness that I was trapped in for so long. I hoped the memory of that emptiness would fade with time. "How long was I out?"

"You were out for fourteen days. The doctors began to worry."

"Fourteen?" I asked, incredulous.

He nodded solemnly. "For a while, I was scared that Marleene messed up somewhere."