Chapter Seven

In extreme closeness and utter solidarity, Marleene proved a scary person. Being alone with her, while also being someone that she didn't particularly like, left room for the imposition of intimidation. She stood next to the door jam of my bedroom, too uncomfortable to sit down, too uncomfortable to do anything but stare blankly at the floor. Awkwardness filtered thickly into the space. Probably emanating from Marleene herself. She didn't want to be here.

Abruptly, she started pacing, her fingers rubbing against her forehead and her eyelids mashed together. I wondered why. She didn't like me, she made that abundantly clear, and still, she'd made an effort to catch me alone. I grew anxious as I anticipated her to cuss me out of sorts. Maybe she'd come to cuss me out for my show outside the lunch room.

The thumping of Marleene's black boots echoed off the white walls, the only sound other than my racing heart. Her jacket wrapped tight against her skin, and the pointed studs seemed to grow in size, a product of anticipation, no doubt.

"Is there any reasoning behind this... visit, or..." I let my thought trail off.

"Just–" she grunted, "just give me... like... five seconds to gather everything I want to say." The way she said it sounded more like she searched for what she can say instead of what she wanted to say.

I don't know how long exactly I waited in silence for her to talk, because when I stopped focusing on the tiny mistakes of the paint job in my room, she studied my face.

"Lyall likes you," she stated. I waited. I could hear my heart, and after six beats, she didn't elaborate.

Besides the overwhelming flourishing in my stomach and flushing of my cheeks, annoyance thickened my throat. So this was some kindergarten 'he said she said' game. Worse, this was a group of children–toddlers–that insisted on telling the recipient of someone's "like" of their affections. I never played this game, but I'd known that the person had to actually like you, in order for the information to be passed on. Unless this is a sick joke. The initial thought came through, they were playing a prank on the new kid.

"Yes, because he made that so abundantly clear. Did he send you over here? You know what, you can actually leave. Everyone here is so–" I started, but Marleene cut me off with an exacerbated tone.

"No, he did not send me here. In fact, he told all of us not to speak to you. He said," and then she lowered her tone to mock Lyall's tember, "'No one talks to Em, looks at Em, or even does so much as a wave at Em. I've done enough to endanger him.'" She rolled her eyes, "Gah! he's so stupid! He obviously doesn't get that..." she let that thought burn away with an inhale through her wide nose, "Regardless, he isn't seeing the big picture. Since he ordered the others to stay away, I'm the only one that can say anything to you."

'Ordered the others to stay away?' 'Endangered him?' Was he talking about Mattias? That couldn't be, because even if I... but it only took a few seconds for the real danger to wash over me. I knew Lyall for a few weeks, and liked him for half that time, but the danger made sense. The hold Lyall had on me was dangerous. I hadn't spoken to him in days, and suddenly there was a gaping hole in my chest. Even with my best efforts, I couldn't ignore him, I would always be aware of his existence. Besides that, Mattias took note of that interest within hours of the meeting, took note, and brought it to a violent means. Not just Mattias, but everyone. Marleene's subtle nudge at danger silently connected the missing ends enough to give me what I needed, while still keeping me in the dark. My attraction, no, my gravitation to Lyall was dangerous.

"Does everyone in this town speak with such cryptic undertones?!" I exclaimed, covering my anxious epiphany with annoyance, "Can anyone, for once, be upfront about what's going on? I'm losing my mind!"