Chapter Nine

The sink water splashed me, bringing me back to reality. I'd taken up doing the dishes for the sake of not thinking. My mind continuously spun, chasing itself around in meaningless circles. The calm rhythmic routine of dish work aided in stopping that monotonous cycle. At least until I found my thoughts circling back to the unknowns. Oblivion I could handle, I realized, but the epitome of what is out in the world, I couldn't. I really couldn't.

The light tap on my shoulder sent another splash of soap and water across my chest.

"Oop, I didn't mean to scare you, sweetie," Rosie said, "but, you have a friend here to see you."

My heart seized in my chest, I knew that, feebly, it couldn't be anyone with animosity, no one who'd come to hurt me would ask Rosie if they could come in. Still, my mind immediately flickered to the monster that snarled. The monster that murdered a woman.

I didn't have to walk any further than the kitchen's archway to see my guest. Lyall stood with impossible brutal strength. The warmth stretched from across the room, engulfing me in it. Relief washed through me at the same time embarrassment did. The relief because, even if I didn't consciously know it, I'd been waiting for him, needing his safe and warm presence to settle my horrified and shot nerves. Embarrassed because not only was I covered in dirty dishwater, but I'd forgotten about our date completely. Though we set the time for seven at night, not eleven thirty in the morning.

"I'm sorry, I'm early," he said, running his fingers across the grayed skin of his forehead, "I was wondering if you'd like to take that date now?"

I ignored the exacerbated awe that drenched Rosie's features. She'd found him just as attractive as I did, "Yes!" I said too quickly, too loudly.

"Uh, sweetie," Rosie interjected, "don't you want to change your clothes first?"

I peeked at my wet shirt and ragged shorts, "If you'd give me a second," I said, embarrassed.

I took the steps two at a time, speeding to change. The clothes I picked out didn't shout date worthy. I threw on a thin long-sleeved gray shirt and distressed baggy jeans, they were the only clean objects within my vicinity. I heard Rosie attempting small talk and it made me speed up my dressing.

Lyall's car remained as I remembered it, though it didn't feel as cold and dark as the day he broke off our date. He didn't look at me, and I watched as he gnawed on his lower lip. I'd opened my mouth several times to speak, but I couldn't find the words. I wanted to say something, but didn't have anything of worth to say.

After being in his car for barely ten seconds, Lyall took off his coat and handed it to me, "Here," he said.

"I'm fine," I lied.

"I can hear your teeth chattering, it's freezing out, I'm surprised your mom let you leave like that."

I took it from him and relished in his warm scent, "Thank you." I said. He finally looked at me, and the glowing emerald didn't scare me as they should have. The eyes of the monster, but the humanity of the man. "Where are we going?" I asked

"I don't know, I was thinking my house, if... if you're okay with that. It's the only place we can... talk about this... alone."

"What about your mom?" I asked.

"She's... out on a business trip and my sister is staying with a friend for the weekend, the house is empty," he paused before adding, "If that's okay–we can find..."

"It's fine with me," I said, cutting him off. Alone time with Lyall. I bit my lip to hide the eager, senseless smile.

He pulled into his driveway. The one story square house had an older set to it, like it had been there for a couple of decades, a generational home. His family probably lived in the small building for the longest of time, passed down from one to the next. As I took in the newer homes next to it, I realized the deeper charm it carried. More than any of the others on the street. Its frame and structure, the warm tones of the wood and brick, felt safer than those on either side.