Chapter Twenty-Six

Fire ripped though me, combating the ice that threatend to take over. I knew this time that I was going to die, but somthing about the fire urged me to fight. I pressed back on the dark spots in my vision, pushed the black curtain of death away from my body. The fire in my veins burned brighter and brighter, as if it was circling me. And immediately I knew it was. The fire rested on my back side.

A sound that I would know, even if I'd never heard it before, shook the trees, sending leaves and branches tumbling down and around me. It was a roar of pain, a roar of anger, a roar of threat. A roar that came from Lyall's werewolf body.

The Covenhead released his grip on my neck as it tumbled backward. The influx of air was painful as I took in cold winter air. James was immediately at my side, lifting my head so that the air didn't have to travel around my throat, but instead straight into my lungs.

I pushed him off of me, trying to see, the spots were still evident, but fading.

Black fur brushed across my left arm as it passed. I felt a flutter of hat travel down and through me. Where the heat passed, it fixed. The fire travedled through my throat and suddenly the pain that was throbbing, vanished.

I looked up at the monster that just touched me. It was too tall, bigger than all the beasts I'd seen today. Even from the ground, it looked like it was bigger than the Covenhead. I noticed for the first time that I was seeing Lyall. This part of him he never wanted me too see. Despite my own fears, I found the wolf to be beautiful. No part of this beast could ever bee deemed ugly or horrifying, even as it radieted pure hostility and rage.

The beasts growl once before launching at one another.

James pulled me toward the edge of the clearing, and for once I didn't fight. I couldn't.

There was snapping and ripping of flesh. The sounds of trees cruching and tumbling took place over every other sound. Lyall tore at the Covenhead's flesh, forcing him further into the hedges of bushes. Lyall had all the power now, but this was all offence. What was going to happen when the beast switched up? I'd seen what he could do when it was his turn to attack. My stomach dropped.

Marleene walked over my body, her hands glowing that glistening gold as Erica's blood-stained white fur launched forward. They took off into the bushes after Lyall.

I shoved James completely off, crawling before gaining my balance and running after them. James called and cried after me, but I moved fast, inhumanly fast. There was another tugging in my chest, and I followed it to the scene.

Surrounded by destroyed trees and torn up dirt, Erica and Lyall stood next to eachother, both preparing for the next strike of the beast. Marleene stood nearest to the forest's edge, mumbling words. The Covenhead stood lopsided. One giant claw was draped across its body, clinging to its torn and bleeding body.

The Covenhead lunges for Erica, only to miss her, slamming into another set of evergreens. Crack, crack, crack is all I hear before the tree comes plumbiting down toward James.

"Move!" I shrieked, the sound feeling nothing like myself.

Without conscious effort to move I was tackling him out of the way, even thought I was sure he was three yards away from me.

James's eyes widen as he takes me in. And I knew why.

The entire forest was shaded in a blue haze. I could see for miles, hear for even further. I had that strength that could demolish buildings, destroy planets. I was the other part of me that cried and begged for release days ago, only then it felt capped—like I wasn't fully letting go.

I sped around the tree, brushing against Marleene's arm as I took stance next to her. Her own eyes large as she took in my form. I didn't know how I looked when like this, but it had to be a large difference.