TWENTY FIVE ~ COLD CLOSURE

╭━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ♛ ⎈ ♛ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ━╮Aren't you tired, Mother?╰━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ♛ ⎈ ♛ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ━╯

Aren't you tired,
Mother?
╰━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ♛ ⎈ ♛ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ━╯

A fine layer of dust coated surfaces and possessions. The air was stale but hints of the past residents could be smelt here and there. Half an hour ago, the royal limo dropped her off in the alleyway near her old apartment. The pirates had been taken to Ursula's Fish & Chips prior, promising that they would visit her tomorrow once she was settled.

Attendants helped her haul her belongings into the vast and empty space but even they were long gone. All alone, Eva stood in the middle of the main room, looking around at the place she had once called home. And would do so once again.

Resources and appliances littered the floor; items provided by King Ben to help make readjusting to the Isle more manageable for her. She may not have her family but hey, at least she had a large television screen and a decent microwave. Hiking a plush pillow under each arm, Eva made her way into her bedroom. Moving down the hallway, she passed the two large rooms that remained unoccupied.

The purple door was pulled tight, not letting anyone glimpse into the messy room behind. Just as it was when Mal lived there. Evie's door was ajar, allowing a look into the meticulously tidy room, littered with various scraps of fabric.

Kicking the left corner of the bottom of her bedroom door, Eva held her breath as the door swung open. An old sheet covered her mattress, protecting it from age and dust. Yellowing paper was still tacked to the crumbling walls, drawings scribbled across them. One of the duffle bags in the main room held a sketchbook taken from Auradon, filled with images that showed how much her skill had improved since she last lived in this room.

Plonking herself down on the edge of her bed, Eva sneezed as the dust tickled her nose. (There was a spring jabbing her in the butt.) The sound echoed throughout the empty accommodation, and she sighed deeply, easing some of the tension in her chest. Silence threatened to swallow her whole. She couldn't recall the last time she had been here alone, even when the Isle was the VKs' permanent residence.

Bickering was often heard when she woke in the morning; Evie and Mal arguing over who needed to shower the most, or who used the last of the good shampoo. Carlos and Jay used to fill the place with their laughter in the middle of the day, fresh off some wicked scheme and revelling in their victory. Evie's frustrated groans when she nicked herself with her sewing needle for the hundredth time. Mal ranting about the impossible rules her mother imposed on her. Eva banging around in the kitchen, attempting to make a nice meal out of meagre ingredients the Isle provided. Millions of memories were captured in the ramshackle walls surrounding her.
Having left her family behind, all Eva had left of them were those memories.

Sniffing, she rubbed at her eyes, willing away the stinging sensation that made them water. She didn't regret her decision, but she hated that it was one she had had to make in the first place.