FOURTEEN ~ ROTTEN REUNION

╭━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ♛ ⎈ ♛ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ━╮The disappointment has returned

The disappointment has
returned.
╰━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍

Slowly making her way back to the shared apartment, Eva wavered between crying or laughing. A small drizzle had formed, and she could feel strands of hair plastered to her forehead. A giddy smile graced her beautiful features before dropping into a frown. Creases formed across her brow. Lips tingling from the memory of Hook's, she did a little skip along the uneven pathway. Deprecating thoughts ran through her head but she tried not to let them ruin the moment of happiness she'd been given.

"Well, well, well... my daughter, the disappointment, has returned."

Freezing at the voice of her nightmares, Eva found herself unable to do anything other than stare at the looming figure of her mother creeping out from the shadows. Nostrils flaring in panic, Eva willed herself to not show any outward fear.

"Evie runs off with a dwarf and you're still pining over that pirate. Did I miss anything?" The Evil Queen spat, staring down at her daughter in disgust. "You should know he's only been using you to please his Captain. Pathetic!"

"S-stop." Eva demanded but her voice wavered slightly and the villain zeroed in on it. "You know nothing about him."

"Yes, you're right, my dear. But look at you. What man would want you? You're littered with imperfections; your facial features are lopsided, your right eye squints, and you're clearly in denial about weight gain judging by the fact that the waistband of your skirt looks like it will snap any second," the evil mother noted, smirking as her daughter shrunk before her eyes.

Eva wished she could yell, scream, beg her mother to stop talking but, all she could do was stand there and listen to the cruel comments. Bottom lip wobbling and eyes burning, Eva felt her heart shatter with each word. It's not true, it's not true, she chanted, but she could feel her skirt tightening with every breath. The sleeves of her jacket felt tight and taut and she had to resist the urge to rip it off.

"Go home, little princess. Take a look at yourself in the mirror and see the truth. No one, not even a lowly fish, would truly like you unless there was some ulterior benefit. You're not worth the effort."

Just as soon as she had appeared, the Evil Queen slunk back into the smog and vanished, satisfied with the everlasting damage she had caused. Sliding down the wall, Eva collapsed into a heap on the floor. She no longer cared about the dirt or the grime, or even the fact that someone could hear/see her. Tears pooled in her blue eyes - an ocean of sadness. Sobs racked her body.

Legs tucked under herself, Eva curled up into a ball of self-loathing. Within minutes, her mother had undone months of confidence building and security. All of it gone within a few sentences. Once again, the blue-haired knight was an insecure, little girl that cowered in the shadow of the Evil Queen's cruelty.