TWENTY THREE ~ DISTRAUGHT DRAGON

╭━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ♛ ⎈ ♛ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ━╮Even worse, Mal, you failed us

Even worse, Mal,
you failed us.
╰━ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ♛ ⎈ ♛ ╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍╍ ━╯

Smoke poured from the chimney of the little cottage. Eva inhaled deeply, relishing in the woody scent that permeated the air. The VKs had only spent one Christmas in Auradon but she already associated the smell with thick snow, twinkling lights, and catchy Christmas songs. Harry watched her with a dopey smile, tripping over a rather large (obvious) rock on the floor. Automatically reacting, Eva's arms darted out and caught him, pulling him upright.

"Careful there, Princess. I'm supposed to protect the King, not oblivious fools."

Linking his fingers through hers, the pirate made a sappy comment about how it was her fault for choosing the 'oblivious fool.' Jay made retching noises behind them. The trio simultaneously scowled when both Mal and Uma turned around to shush them.

Hidden behind a large tree, the group were surveying the property for any signs of life. No lights were visible from the windows, but nobody took that to mean Audrey wasn't holed up inside. As the rulers of Auradon, Ben and Mal approached the gate first, signalling to the others when it was safe for them to join.

Despite doing their best to creep around, Harry and Eva refused to release their hold on each other, dragging the other. Uma shook her head at them but the corners of her mouth turned up. It was nice to know her second-in-command would no longer be moping around, pining over love that hadn't had the chance to form. Jay smirked at the besotted pirate, amused that he no longer even tried to hide how enamoured he was with the blue-haired knight. Harry knew she could hurt him as easily as he loved her but that only made him more attached.

Bursting through the front door, the small company fell short upon seeing the empty room. Jay dashed upstairs but returned with a shake of his head. Audrey wasn't here.

"Where the hell is she?"

Frantic bangs pounded against the door to the pantry, startling the crowd of makeshift heroes. Mal stood protectively in front of them as Ben peered in through the little window. At the sight of Cinderella's son curled up in a ball, looking a little traumatised, Ben hurried to unlock the door.

"I want my mommy." Chad whimpered, flinching away from Ben's outstretched hand. Ben reached down to help him stand anyway, inquiring as to what had happened to him.

"Ben!" Chad exclaimed, launching himself at the King after recognition had sunk in. "She's gone, huh?" Chad glanced around in disbelief, eyes widening at the sight of the front door hanging open.

"I'm free! Freedom!" The pampered prince sprinted out the door without looking back or even uttering a 'thanks,' desperate to get away from the dark hole he had been trapped in.