Chapter 1: Ceremony

[Disclaimer: I do not own Pokémon or Kung Fu Panda, nor do I own any art used. Any OC's however, are mine unless stated otherwise.]

-

An old red panda is playing a flute. He is surrounded by the bushes and trees that nestle between the Training Hall. From behind the bushes, stealthy dark shapes move in the foreground. He is still playing and seems oblivious. Five figures explode from the undergrowth simultaneously, diving on him. He moves like lightning, the flute now wielded like a staff. He deflects, blocks, dodges, parries, and the attackers go flying. They roll and pick themselves up, turning to face him, who is now standing poised; ready for their next move.

"Well done, students." The red panda says with pride. "If you were trying to disappoint me." The red panda disregards his earlier pride in place of scolding.

He uses his flute to point at the Five, who respectfully bow as they are called out; the red panda pointing at each of his students when he addresses them.

"Tigress, you need more ferocity. Monkey, greater speed. Crane, height. Viper, subtlety. Mantis-"

"Master Shifu." A voice calls out.

Shifu suddenly points the flute at a scared palace goose.

"What?!" the now-named Shifu demands with impatience.

The goose is promptly startled at the master's action. "Aah! It's Master Oogway. He wants to see you." he informs with fear.

Shifu looks up, concerned, before running to the Jade Palace, which is lined with palace geese. The door bursts open. Shifu enters and comes to a halt. Candles and emerald lighting fill the room. He takes a deep breath and bows.

"Master Oogway? You summoned me." He looks up, still bowing. "Is something wrong?"

He looks up at a tortoise shell perfectly balanced on a thin wooden staff

He looks up at a tortoise shell perfectly balanced on a thin wooden staff. Master Oogway, a wise and elderly tortoise, emerges slowly from his meditative position and climbs down effortlessly.

"Why must something be wrong for me to want to see my old friend?" Oogway asks with a smile.

"So... nothing's wrong?" Shifu asks with a hint of confusion.

"Well, I didn't say that." Oogway denies, as he approaches one of the many candles lining the room.

Shifu looks up, concerned. Oogway opens his mouth... and blows out a candle. And another candle. And another. And another. Oogway opens his mouth to say something, then blows out another candle. Finally, an impatient Shifu uses his kung fu to blow them all out in an instant.

"You were saying?" Shifu asked.

"I have had a vision: Tai Lung will return." Oogway informs with a frown.

Shifu looks stricken. Quick, impressionistic images of a large, shadowy figure, the supposed Tai Lung, flash in his mind. Shifu is rattled.

"That is impossible! He is in prison!" Shifu denies.