Meet The Family

When Betty gave me her grandparents address I never gave it a second thought, but now that I was almost there I realized that it was for the best that Ma wasn't invited. This would have been more than she could handle. My first clue should have been in the directions Betty gave me; take Sunset Boulevard, once you pass the Beverly Hills Hotel, make a right turn at the second street.

I drove my Thunderbird, with the top down up the steep winding streets of Beverly Hills. I must have missed it, I thought, as I kept climbing higher looking for Donhill Drive. This was the first time I had driven through this neighborhood. I never had a chance to sell anything here. These weren't the type of clients who patronized Big Al's. Actually, I believe that the Johansson's were probably the wealthiest clients he ever had. Mr. Johansson was some big shot lawyer, I believe.

The higher up the street I went, the less important I began to feel as I noticed the fancy cars parked along the streets; but soon I forgot about the cars as the houses got larger and more splendid. Her grandparents must be absolutely loaded for them to have a place up here in the same neighborhood with stars like Jimmy Stewart, Kirk Douglas and Tom's favorite actor, Rock Hudson.

I kept driving up the hill and still no sign for Donhill Drive. By now I was absolutely certain I had missed it. There was no way that Betty came from this kind of money. I'd picked her up at her parents place a few times, although I had never met them. Betty would always be outside, waiting for me as I drove up to the house. They lived in a beautiful colonial in Santa Monica, but nothing that could ever suggest this. I got to the top of the hill and there it was, Donhill Drive.

I turned right and found a mass of maybe twenty cars parked along the street, and oh what cars they were; Astin Martin's, Rolls Royce's, Bentley's, and other exotic cars that I couldn't even recognize. There wasn't an American car in sight. My only saving grace was that at least their house was on the lower side of the street. There was an entrance to a huge estate right across from them at the very top of the hill.

I parked behind the line of cars. I checked my hair in the rear view mirror and carefully combed it. I fixed my tie and buttoned up my suit jacket. Betty should have warned me about this, I thought, so that I could have bought something fancy to give them. I took the flowers that I had purchased earlier in the day and headed for the house. I had no idea what type of flower was suitable for a Thanksgiving dinner so I just bought a pre-packaged bouquet.

It was six o'clock in the early evening yet it seemed I was the last one to arrive, and here I was thinking I'd be early. I remember being in awe of the gigantic wooden door with the extra large brass knocker on the front. Before I had a chance to ring the bell, the door opened. Betty, a marvel of beauty, stood before me in a short black strapless dress, her long legs teasing me to grab them. Once I caught my breath, I kissed her on the lips and presented her with the flowers for her grandparents.

"I'm so glad you're here," she said to me as she timidly smiled. "I hope you're mother's not too upset with me."

"Not at all," I replied. "Forget about it. There will be other occasions."

Betty's grandfather, a stern gentleman, greeted me immediately. I had met him outside of Betty's parents house one time when I came to pick her up for a date. When I first introduced myself to him I shook his hand, "It's nice to meet you, sir," I said. He replied, "We'll see about that. It's way too early to tell." This time he was nicer.

"Come on in Adam, have a drink," he said to me and then he quickly went off to talk with someone else.

Next to greet me was an extremely well-dressed man in a three piece suit with a gold pocket watch hanging from his pants.