•27•

You wake up frantic, grabbing for Dwight's gun, thinking you're still outside pinned down by gunfire. The only thing you find is IV bags and the bed railing of a hospital bed. Two hands rest on your shoulders, gently holding your shoulder's so you don't come flying up out of the bed.

"Hey calm down. You're safe."

Dwight's voice pulls you from your panicked state. Your heart feels as if it's going to explode as you try and catch your breath. His blue eyes scan yours feverishly.

"Where-"

"He's not here. We pushed them out and they're headed to finish it.", he explains.

Worry trickles from your mind and ignites the fire back. You attempt to pull yourself out of bed again but Dwight pushes you back down.

"He's going to get himself killed. I can't just lay here and wait.", you plead.

"You tore the stitches out and almost bled to death I barely got you here. If you want to help him, stay here. You'll distract him out there.", he informs you.

You lie back down in defeat. He's right but it doesn't change your mind about wanting to go.

"You're some sort of war hero now."

Your brows furrow.

"What do you mean?"

"You saved Jared, Sarah's husband. If people aren't talking about the attack or the retaliation then they're talking about you.", he explains.

The memory man lying in a pool of blood flashes in front of you. Your lips turn downward. The memory of your decision to let him die crosses your mind shortly after.

"Was that a ploy to get people to stop hating you?", he asks, genuinely curious.

"It wasn't. He got shot down in front of me and I dragged him inside, but when I saw who it was.."

You fidget with the thin hospital blanket before returning your gaze to Dwight.

"I stopped trying to save him. But the doctor got there before he could bleed out.", you tell him honestly.

He nods and sits back in the chair he pulled to your bedside.

"Well, it worked out in your favor, to say the least. I don't think there's going to be any looking over your shoulder and hiding in Negan's room now."

If Negan's life wasn't on the line you would probably be relieved to hear the news. You want nothing more than to bust out those doors, hop into a car, and come to his aid.

"He's going to be fine.", Dwight assures you, noticing your worry-stricken expression.

A knock sounds at the door. Dr.Carson enters immediately after. You haven't had very much interaction with him before. You've almost always doctored your own wounds. Well, up until Negan started doing it for you.

"How are you feeling?", He asks flipping through papers on his clipboard after coming to your bedside.

"As good as someone who'd been shot can feel, I guess.", you answer dryly.

"It was damn near healed up, probably could've ditched the bandages in a few days, had this not happened.", he informs you.

Ripped my stitches out for the man who tried to kill me. I should've just left him to begin with. Maybe I could've been out there with Negan.

"It wasn't in vain though. You saved that man's life. He would've died out there had it not been for you.", he says, clicking the pen and putting it into his white coat pocket.