•18•

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul.

That's always been the first thing you notice about someone, their eyes. It's the closest thing to reading someone's mind. They tell you what their words, gestures, and facial expressions can't.

As you follow Negan through the compound, every passing eye is on the both of you. You don't have to work overtime to try to analyze each and every set of them, because you know they're all glossed with hatred, vengeance, and bloodthirst without looking at them. The lump in your throat seems to take on more weight each second you're parading around a crowd that wants nothing more than your head on a stick.
You try watching the floor, being careful to not look at anyone the wrong way and start anything. You shift around nervously in your sling, the attention starting to get to you. As if Negan could feel your discontent behind him, he slows down to walk by your side, placing his free hand on the small of your back while the other holds Lucille over his shoulder. The warmness of his palm radiates through the thin fabric of your shirt. Your heart flutters at the gesture. You only look back up for a second as he leads you into the hallway. But before you're in the clear, you find a face that isn't so inconspicuous about giving you a dirty look.

It's Sarah, the wife of one of the men that tried to kill you in the dimly lit labyrinth of the halls.

You can almost see her blood boiling under her skin as she rips you apart with her eyes. Heavy breaths from her flared nostrils blow her short locks of brown hair into the air. You can't say you blame her for feeling the way she does right now. You're the reason her husband wears a mangled, pink scar across his face. You hold her seething stare up until the wall from the hallway blocks your view.

He keeps his hand rested on the small of your back as you two make your way to the office/meeting room where he had spoken to you for the first time since you arrived here. You begin to feel Deja Vu as the both of you close in on the door, his thumb rubbing small circles in your back.

"This shouldn't take long. We'll head upstairs when we're done here, I've got a few papers I've got to go through.", He informs you as you reach the door.

You nod as he removes his hand from your back and opens the door for you. You enter the room cautiously, eyes immediately scanning the room. At the table sits Simon, Laura, Jeff, and Gavin. Their conversation falls silent as you enter the room with Negan right behind you. They all size you up only for a moment before directing their attention to Negan.

Dean used to sit at this table. These were all his closest friends. Nobody wants you dead more than the people in this room. You can feel the tension rising in the air around you. It's almost thick enough to suffocate you. The squeaking of a chair being pulled across the room snaps you from your inner monologue. Negan places the chair beside his before sitting down at the head of the table, placing Lucille in front of him. You awkwardly sit in the chair he brought for you, feeling like a fish out of water.

"Where the fuck's Dwi-", he's cut off by the sound of the door screeching open.

You hear footsteps enter the room and hesitate for just a second. You can feel his eyes burning in the back of your head.

"Nice of you to finally join us.", Negan says as you watch Dwight walk by and take the last empty seat at the table.

"Sorry I had to find somebody to cover my position.", he almost mumbles, looking anywhere but at you.

You pinch the fabric of your jeans and bite the inside of your cheek, looking down at Lucille. Once again, you regret agreeing to come back.

"So get me up to speed on the supplies situation at Hilltop.", Negan says propping his boots up on the edge of the table.