Chapter 5: Spreading the Flames

It was three o'clock in the morning when you woke up. This time, you wanted to get into the forbidden basement.

You crept to the door underneath the stairs and opened it. Then with the flashlight on your phone, you closed the door behind you and walked down the stairs.

At the bottom, there was another door that had a keypad. You sighed. How were you supposed to figure out the code?

You first tried Yoona's birthday, but that didn't work. Then you tried yours, but that didn't work either.

You were about to give up and go back to sleep
when the voice inside your head spoke. But instead of saying the "go back to Earth" sentence, it was a number code.

091399

You punched the numbers in, and the door swung open. You wondered what those numbers meant, but you pushed that aside.

There was a light switch on the wall, and you flipped it open. What you saw next shocked you.

It was a science lab. On the right side stood a long table with a computer, giant air tubes, and scattered papers. On the left was another table, but this one had a lot of chemicals.

You wandered around, being careful of your steps. "Was this the forbidden basement Mom didn't want me to go in?" you wondered. "Why does she have a whole science lab down here?"

Suddenly, you heard voices coming from out of the basement. You froze and quickly ran, hiding behind a giant box in the back of the lab. You cursed when you saw you left the door open.

Yoona and Choi Minsu, Yeonjun's father, walked into the lab. They were both wearing lab coats. "Hm, I don't remember leaving the door open," Yoona said, looking at Minsu. "Did you come in here when I was gone?" "You do realize we went on the same trip, right?" Minsu said.

A million thoughts raced inside your head. Why was Yoona so back early? Didn't she leave like two days ago? Olympus Moons isn't a close drive.

But more importantly, why was she in the lab with Minsu?

"So, what did you want to talk to me about? Why couldn't we talk about this in your living room?" asked Minsu. "Because I'm afraid that Y/n will hear the conversation, and it's about her."

"Isn't she a heavy sleeper?"

"You may never know; she could be awake now."

And you were.

Yoona sat on one of the chairs and took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. "I think Y/n is starting to remember Earth."

"Huh?" Minsu exclaimed. "But didn't she go through that room?" "Yes, but I don't think it worked. Or it was only temporary."

"Why don't we put her in the room again?"

"We destroyed those when we took the last group in! Don't you remember Choi Minsu?" Everyone and everything was silent. Yoona rarely raised her voice, so this was surprising.

Minsu placed a hand on her should. "Don't worry, Y/n will be fine. Y/n's still going to therapy, so maybe it's going away slowly."

"I hope it is," Yoona complained. "If she becomes worse and starts to blabber to others about it, I may have to resort to the other option: put her into a sleep that slowly kills her. People remembering Earth is already risky enough; we don't need another person to spread those flames."

"Wait, you would kill your daughter?"

"If I had to. You know you would do the same to Yeonjun. It's for the safety of the people on Mars."

You couldn't believe what you were hearing. Your mom was going to kill you if you kept talking about Earth. You broke into a cold sweat, and chills ran down your body. You held back your tears.

"You know what, I should see Y/n; I haven't seen her in two days." Yoona said, "I'm not going to wake her up, though."

Minsu nodded. "That sounds good. Let's load our stuff out of the car real quick." "Yes."

The two made their way out of the basement. Once you heard the front door close, you quickly ran out of the basement and back into your room. You pulled the coverlet over your head and began to cry.

You still couldn't believe that Yoona would kill you, your daughter. That only made you cry harder.

You heard the door open and quieted down, pretending to be asleep. You felt your bed sink in the corner and a hand rubbing your back.

"Oh, were you crying, Y/n?" Yoona whispered. "You must've cried because you missed me. I missed you too."

Yeah right. You thought. Yoona leaned over and pecked you on the cheek. "When you wake up, I'll have a nice breakfast waiting for you. I love you."

Yoona stood up and walked out of your room, quietly closing the door. That's when you began to cry again.

You didn't cry because you were sad but because you feared for your life.

—————
Dang, imagine your mom had to kill you bc of memories. I could never be in that situation.
Thanks for reading, and don't forget to vote and follow!