Walking On Water

After hours of walking around in a forest brainlessly I managed to find my way out. Aching and exhausted I hitched a ride with a family of three heading to the airport. Throughout the entire journey the little girl kept on asking me questions.

"Why do you have white in your hair?"

"Why were you in the woods?"

"Why have I seen you somewhere before?"

"Why do you have a funny accent?"

"Why do you keep on looking out of the window?"

"What's your name?"

"How old are you?"

"Do you have a little girl like me?"

"Do you like ponies?"

"How strong are you?"

"Why are you wearing a ring?"

"Where are you going to?"

"Do you have a plane ticket?"

"Are you on holiday?"

"Can you sing?"

"Do you know any magic tricks?"

At that I looked up. I did indeed know a magic trick, but it was only one. The little girl handed me a pack of cards and I shuffled the deck.

"Pick a card," I said in a quiet voice. She took one with chocolate-covered fingers.

"Don't show it me," I said quickly. "Remember it. Have you remembered it?"

"Yes," she replied.

"Then fold it up." She did as I asked and then handed it to me. I ripped it apart and she gasped.

"Wait!" I said before she started crying. I curled my hand into a fist and blew on it. When I opened my fist the torn up card was gone.

"Where is it?" she asked, puzzled.

"Behind your ear," I said, pulling it from just behind her ear, whole again. She cheered and clapped, taking the cards off me and putting them back in her little pink handbag.

"That was good," the mum said, looking at me in the mirror. "Are you a professional magician?"

"No," I replied. "My wife loves magic and knows a few tricks so I decided to learn some, to impress her, y'know?"

"It worked then," the mum said with a smile, eyes flicking to my golden ring. I'd refused to take it off the entire time I was in America, part out of loyalty and part out of habit.

"Yeah," I said, mirroring her smile. "Yeah, it did."

"What's her name?" the little girl asked.

"Georgina," I said.

"That's my name!" she squealed in delight, clapping her hands together. I laughed softly.

"It's a nice name, isn't it?" I said. Georgina 2 nodded.

"Very nice," she agreed.

"So why are you in America, Mister...?" the mum asked, tailing off.

"Rogers," I said. I couldn't be bothered to say my codename anymore. I was fed up. "Pepper Rogers."

"Why are you in America, Pepper?"

"I was with some friends," I said honestly. "But they departed earlier than they should have."

"So you're all alone," the dad summed up.

"Yeah," I said, the truth sinking in. "Yeah, even my kitten left me."