Hair Is Dangerous

Three months later...

"Another press conference," I muttered, reading the newspaper that had been placed on my lap whilst a specialist hairdresser brushed and cut my hair. The scissors snipped away, the comb fluffed my hair up and it was styled whilst I skimmed the page.

"Who organises these things, anyway?" I said louder, looking up at my friends accusingly. Kevin gave no answer, collecting the newspaper from me then flying away.

"Lotte, probably," Georgina said. "She loves annoying you."

"True."

"Do you want me to do anything with your beard?" the hairdresser asked. I shook my head and she stepped back.

"I'm finished, then." She uncovered the three mirrors that were in front of me and I raised an eyebrow in appreciation. The dark mess on top of my head had been spiked up, still ruffled but looking fabulous. I noted with some concern the small grey hairs at my temples but then ignored it, putting it down to stress.

Either that or you're getting old.

I stood up, brushing stray hairs off my shoulders before the hairdresser could attack me with a clothes brush.

"At least now the papers will have a good, up to date photo of me," I said, standing stock still with a grin on my face. "But now I need some good clothes."

"No bowler hats!" Georgina called. I laughed and darted through into the wardrobe, a cunning smile on my face.

*

"Nice style," Shaade said approvingly the second I walked out of my bedroom. "Very vintage - or is it retro?"

The outfit I wore was a grey tartan suit jacket over a white shirt with dark buttons, done up to the neck. My trousers were slate grey and had my shirt tucked into them, a bright blue belt around my waist. I'd topped it all off with high-topped white trainers that appeared to glow.

"I learnt from the best," I said with a grin, raising my eyebrows at him. He laughed and accepted my compliment with a small bow.

"When you two have stopped flirting..." Lotte said. I scowled at her whereas Shaade laughed, bouncing over and putting an arm around my shoulders.

"Sorry, Josh," the shadow demon said, messing up my hair with one hand and turning it pink. "I've found someone else."

"I never liked you much anyway," Josh shrugged. Shaade wilted and immediately was by his husband's side, wrapping his arms around Josh's neck.

"I was joking," he said in a small voice.

"As was I, you gullible idiot."

I rolled my eyes at their antics and walked to the bar, glancing at my silver watch and calculating the time until the press conference.

One hour to go.

"Ladies," I said, nodding to Georgina, Rebecca and Sophie. "What are you talking about?"

"Lulu," Georgina replied. I rolled my eyes as she whistled and claws skittered across the tiled floor. A small dog, about knee height at the shoulder, came bounding towards us, slowing down and not just wagging her tail but her entire body as she spotted me. She pressed herself against my legs and raised her head towards me, seeming to smile. I bent down slightly and stroked her side, not being able to prevent my smile.

"She is really cute," Sophie said. "I just want to kidnap her and keep her forever."

"She'll die eventually," Rebecca said, taking a pack of Polos out of her pocket. "And dogs aren't very useful. Horses, however..."