Bench Is NOT A Name

Two hours later...

With my leg jigging nervously I sat on the wooden chair, tapping my foot on the floor. Thunder had summoned me to ask about Salt and Albin - I refused to call that liar anything that may relate to me - and I had no idea what to tell them.

"Enter," a cool, crisp voice said. I rose and twisted the handle of the oaken door, nudging it open with my shoulder.

"Mr Rogers?" the same voice queried. A woman with short blonde hair stood from the desk, barely more than eighteen.

"Yes, Miss?" I held out my hand and she took it, motioning for me to sit. I pulled the velvet cushioned chair towards me and seated, still covered in a nervous sweat and blood. I'd had no time to change or wash and I was a mess.

"Felicity," the girl said with a smile. "Now, what happened to my superiors?"

"You have none anymore, Miss," I said, looking at the floor.

"Why not?"

"They're both dead." The instant I said it out loud I felt something inside me snap. Not with anger like it had with Albin but with pain and sorrow. Salt was never coming back. And it was my fault for having such a crazy life.

"How come?"

"Salt was shot. And Albin was thrown off a very high floor."

"By whom?"

"Hurricane officials."

"That's not what I have here," Felicity said, sliding a folder across the table to me. "This says that you killed Albin."

"He murdered my brother," I said coldly, raising my head to look at her with dull eyes. "He deserved it."

"Guards!"

*

"Let me out!" I bellowed, hammering on the door. "Let me out of here now!"

After a small fit of yelling and fighting I was thrown into one of the lower levels.

The room I was in was tiny, more like a box than a room. A ragged blanket covered part of the floor and a litter tray was nailed to the right hand wall.

"I am not an animal!" I howled, kicking it across the room and ducking as it rebounded, spraying kitty litter everywhere. I growled and shook it out of my hair, punching the wall. There was a snap as the bones in my hand broke and I winced, sinking to the floor, cradling my injured hand.

"This is stupid," I muttered, tracing patterns in the dust with one foot. "And claustrophobic. Very claustrophobic..."

I felt my face go pale and hugged myself, shivering with fear. One of my greatest fears has always been claustrophobia and I didn't want to have a panic attack. At all. Ever.

Are you okay? Tom asked. You've been silent for ages.

I'm in a very small room and I don't like it one jot.

Keep calm. We'll try and help you.

Only Salt could soothe me, I sent back bitterly. With his powers.

We all miss him, y'know. Rebecca and Sophie are crying and Rebecca says that he was her favourite twin. And Emmi misses Albin.

Tell them to burn in hell.

Will do.

Tom disappeared and I shuddered, burying my face in my knees.

"You're outdoors and safe you're outdoors and safe," I chanted quietly, rocking back and forth. "Safe safe safe safe safe safe."