Picture Not So-Perfect

Walking back from the press conference, exhausted, barely able to drag myself onwards my phone rang. Lifting it to my ear with one tired hand I motioned for the others to be quiet.

"Hello?"

"Ah, Pepper," S said. "We need you. Now."

"What happened to Chelsee being my secretary?" I asked, putting the device on speaker.

"She got fired."

"It was inevitable."

"Anyway, we need you back at Thunder."

"Why?"

"Someone went through your office and set fire to everything."

I swore and bit my lip, thinking hard.

"I'm guessing there were some valuable things in there," S said pityingly.

"Yes, there was."

"Like what? We might be able to rescue some of-"

"No."

"I'm sorry?"

"No. Don't go in there." I'd stored the blueprints that Shaade and Josh had given me in one of the drawers in my desk, modifying them whenever I had time. I'd also mapped out Thunder to the best of my ability, trying to figure out where 'the vault of Thunder classified 2333' was. It wasn't strictly illegal but I'd probably get into a lot of trouble for it, seeing as I was under suspicion for burning down the corridors.

"You do realise I'm now incredibly suspicious of you, right?"

"Yes. But please, stay away."

"Fine... Anything else you want to ask, whilst I'm on the line?"

"Are there any other people rifling through my stuff?" I asked after a second of thought. I could hear muttering and things dropping to the ground, bricks shifting over one another.

"Yes."

"Dammit!" I hung up and threw my phone to Georgina. She caught it with difficulty, fumbling and nearly letting it smash on to the floor. I ignored the distractions and ran, sitting on the banister and sliding down several flights of stairs, arms out for balance. Reaching a gap I somersaulted and landed scrambling back up to my feet, sprinting through the hallways and springing over more barriers. I charged through a gaggle of journalists, shouting a hurried apology over my shoulder, sliding over the floor as my legs went out from under me. I dived headfirst down the stairs, arms outstretched in front of me so that I was in an arrow shape. Whooping in excitement I did a forwards roll, slipping across the tiles and smacking into the wall. I jumped up and sprinted out the front doors, vaguely aware of camera flashes going off behind me.

Adrenaline rushed through me and I accelerated, eyes following the path. I ran along the roads, feet pounding the tarmac, legs a blur. I whizzed between cars, occasionally using one or two as springboards. Snatching at a tree I flew through the air and landed in a crouch, grinning like a Cheshire cat.

"Hey! Stop right there!" a voice yelled in an authoritative tone. I glanced around and my smile vanished. Two police officers were stood next to their squad car, glaring across at me. I rolled my eyes and started my sprint again, bounding across the ground like some kind of feral cat. Trainers unlaced and threatening to trip me up I zoomed away, watching the ground closely, wary of the narrow strip of string that could ruin my chances of getting away.

A siren started up behind me. Cursing under my breath I broke off and darted through the trees, hoping that the police car wouldn't fit through.

Footsteps cracked twigs and smashed through bushes behind me and I realised that the officers were on foot. Rolling my eyes at their futile attempt I sprinted away, leaving them far behind.