Escalators Are Simply Moving Stairs

One hour and a long car journey later...

"Right, so we know the plan?" Dad said, twisting around in his seat. We all nodded and went our separate ways, putting our hastily prepared plan into action.

Shaade ran into the shopping centre and jumped on top of the miniature water feature, swearing at the top of his lungs and turning the water purple. As security made their way towards him I nodded directly at the camera and a large, golden dragon burst into the lower floor.

A dragon? Really? I sent to Georgina.

It was either that or a gigantic banana. I panicked.

People ran screaming towards the exits as Josh came roaring in on his gleaming motorbike, spiked helmet casting fear into even my heart.

He roared to a stop and tugged off his helmet, engulfing his body and his bike in flames. The screams grew louder and then everybody on the lower floor started to get very, very sleepy.

Salt walked slowly through the throngs of rushing people, touching each person lightly on the head. As his fingers connected with their skin they fell asleep, slumping to the ground. Soon the entire lower level, shops and all, was a mass of sleeping bodies.

Sing and keep them asleep. Don't use your powers anymore or I'll collapse, I told Salt sleepily. He nodded and started to sing a gentle melody, turning it into 'Fireflies' by Owl City.

"You would not believe your eyes," he said, his soft, sweet voice filling the rooms, "if ten million fireflies..."

Before the calmness could invade my head I started moving, walking to the escalators. Georgina's gigantic dragon had fallen asleep on the up escalator and so I was faced with a choice.

Run up the down escalator or waste precious time finding an alternate means of getting to the second level.

Readying myself for a hard sprint I tensed and then ran, feet going around in circles, moving nowhere. I tried to use the handrails to propel myself further but only succeeded in somersaulting then falling face first, flat out on the escalator stairs. My face was scratched and my black hoodie was close to ruin but I persisted. Using my powers to speed forwards I finally made it to the top, breathing hard.

"Escalators are simply moving stairs," I said through gritted teeth. "I can beat them."

Staggering forwards on tired legs I gripped the side of a plant pot for balance. My head was swimming and I barely had time to tell Tom to move on up before I passed out.

*

Salt heard a thud on the upper floor and his singing halted for a second. Immediately people started to stir and he hurriedly resumed the song, walking away from his spot by the fountain to the escalators. Pressing the emergency stop button and then walking up them like they were stairs, singing all the while.

"Stop there and let me correct it," he crooned, "I wanna live life from a New Perspective."

The song didn't have the same effect as before. People were waking up and that couldn't happen.

"A foxtrot above my bed, a sock hop beneath my bed," Salt sang, changing back to Owl City. Calm was restored and he breathed a sigh of relief that quickly turned into a gasp of horror when he saw the sight at the top of the stairs.

Pepper was slumped against a broken pot or vase of some kind, blood rippling in a scarlet river from his head. His eyes were shut and he was pale, too pale.

"Pepper?" Salt said, dropping to his knees beneath his twin. "Pepper, please, wake up, don't die, come on..."

"What happened?" voices were asking from below.

"That's a dragon!" others cried.

Tom sprinted up the still escalator and, seeing Pepper sprawled on the floor, turned to hold Georgina back. It was too late.

Georgina battled past Tom just in time to see the final breath leave her husband's body.