Chapter 2

I never imagined the day would come when our pack would be attacked. We had always been so strong, so united. But now, as I stood there in the midst of the chaos, I realised that we were not invincible.

The first thing I heard was the sound of howling. It wasn't the friendly howl of our pack, but something different, something sinister. I looked up from the book I was reading and saw my father, Marcus, storming into our living room, his eyes blazing with fury.

"Pack meeting," he said, his voice low and urgent. "Everyone, gather in the clearing."

I followed him outside, where I saw the other members of our pack already assembled. They all looked scared and confused, and I could feel the tension in the air. My brother, Samuel, stood next to me, his hand gripping my shoulder tightly.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"I don't know," he replied, his eyes scanning the crowd.

That's when we heard the first gunshot. It was followed by several more, and suddenly chaos erupted. People were running in all directions, trying to escape. But there was nowhere to go. We were surrounded.

I saw my father fighting with a group of men, his muscles rippling as he dodged their attacks. He was a formidable warrior, but there were too many of them. I watched in horror as one of the attackers lifted a gun and aimed it at my father. There was no time to think, no time to act. All I could do was scream.

"Dad!"

The gunshot echoed through the clearing, and my father fell to the ground. For a moment, time seemed to stand still. Then the fighting resumed, and I saw people getting hurt, crying out in pain. I felt a hand on my arm, pulling me away.

"Come on, Elena," Samuel said, his voice urgent. "We have to get out of here."

I wanted to protest, to stay and help, but I knew he was right. We had to get out before it was too late. We ran through the trees, our hearts pounding in our chests. I could hear the sound of gunfire and howling behind us, but we didn't stop until we reached a safe distance. As we were running I remember tripping over and falling down then nothing...

I woke up to the sound of screams and chaos. At first, I thought it was just a nightmare, but then I heard the unmistakable sound of fighting. I quickly opened my eyes to see even more strangers, breaking into our territory and attacking our pack.

I felt a sudden rush of fear and confusion. My foot hurt from tripping and tears filled my eyes.  I had never seen anything like this before. I knew something was terribly wrong, and I needed to do something about it, but what? I looked around and saw my brother, Sam, he was rushing to me. He looked just as scared as I was.

"Come on, Elena, we need to go help Dad and the others," he said.

We ran around the main house in to the front yard, where the fighting was taking place. We saw our father, the Alpha, in his wolf form, fighting off the intruders that surrounded him. But he was outnumbered, and the strangers were too strong. Other wolves that were not part of our pack were pouring in from the woods and all attacked Marcus.

Sam and I wanted to join in the fight, but we were being held back by somebody. I could see the fear and desperation in their eyes. They were doing everything they could to protect us.

We watched helplessly as our father fought bravely, but it was clear that he was losing. Suddenly, one of the strangers managed to land a fatal blow on him. I could see the pain and shock in his eyes as he turned back into his human form and fell to the ground.

Sam managed to release himself from the person that was holding him and ran to his father, but I was pulled in the opposite direction by one of the attackers. 

As I was being taken away, I could still hear the sounds of fighting and the cries of my pack members. I felt helpless and alone. I didn't know what was going to happen to me, or to my family and friends.

The attack lasted for what felt like hours, but eventually, it was over.

My world was shattered the the moment I witnessed my father's death. As the fighting died down, everything around me seemed to slow down and become muted. I stood frozen in shock, unable to move or even comprehend what had just happened. My mind was blank, and I couldn't hear anything around me except the sound of my own heart beating wildly in my chest.

I was jolted out of my trance-like state when strong arms pulled me away from the scene. I struggled to break free, wanting to stay with my father, I was held tight. As I was being dragged away, my eyes caught a glimpse of my father dissipating into the night sky.