"Are you sure?"

The kisses descended to my jaw, then neck. "Let's pretend you didn't mention going anywhere, okay?"

"Okay." I dropped my forehead onto his shoulder. "Tell me what I should wear, but I need a shower first."

"We'll have dinner and walk in town, maybe go to the beach. My father wanted to give Elio an evening off, but Elio and I agreed it wasn't smart, so he'll be with us."

"Wish I'd known he was your friend." I freed myself from Rys's embrace and walked into the en suite. "I gaped at him for way too long."

Rys followed me and leaned against the vanity as I started undressing. "He can seem intimidating, but I've known him long enough to know he's not like that all the time. I should've opened the door, but he was faster. Do you need help?"

I rubbed my lower belly. "I'm on my period. Otherwise, I would've asked you to join me."

A half-smile sat on Rys's mouth. "That wouldn't stop me, but I'll give you privacy. Come to the kitchen when you're ready."

After pecking my cheek, he left me alone, and I took my time showering until I felt slightly better. A black dress with spaghetti straps that crisscrossed on my back was my outfit of choice. The fabric was thin and it wouldn't be out of place no matter where we ended up going.

When I entered the kitchen, a woman who must've been Rys's mom was there. Her hair was shorter than in Rys's childhood pictures, but the same youthful gleam graced her eyes.

"Lyra." She stepped toward me. "I was looking forward to meeting you."

Her husband must've told her about me. "Likewise, Mrs. Delano," I said.

She shook her head. "Please, call me Fiona."

Rys saved me from awkward introductions by taking my hand and nodding in the direction of the front door. "Let's get going. Everyone's starving."

We ended up at The Wave. Like Rys, his parents seemed to be familiar with the staff. When the server brought wine, Rys's dad raised his glass. "To the chance encounters. Let's hope we can meet again soon."

After all of us took a sip, Fiona leaned her head on her husband's shoulder. He kissed her temple, and she sighed.

"You should've told us you had company, Rys. Now I feel bad for intruding."

"You're not intruding," I rushed to say, but Fiona waved her hand. "Of course we are, but we're going to stay at the new hotel tomorrow."

Rys slung an arm around my shoulders. "That's okay if you want to, but as Lyra said, you're not intruding, and my house is big enough."

Isaac reached for his glass. "Don't worry about us. By the way, congratulations on the Ingvel deal."

Rys glided his fingers down my arm. "Thank you, but he still needs to sign."

"It's a great achievement, regardless. You shouldn't forget to celebrate the little wins."

Something squeezed in my chest. Those were the words I'd wished my mom said lots of times. Dwelling on the past was pointless, but I often wondered how I would've turned out if my dreams hadn't been dismissed or laughed at. Maybe I'd be more confident. Perhaps I wouldn't have trusted the wrong people and could have made good friends in college. It was wrong to feel so much resentment toward the person who gave me life, but feelings didn't ask for permission to appear.

"You okay?" Rys's quiet question prevented me from being consumed by miserable thoughts. I nodded just as our food arrived, and for the remainder of the dinner, I pushed the thoughts of my family to the back of my mind.