Chapter 45 - Unexpected Growth

Start from the beginning

"Well, I guess you really are getting better." Serena's hand takes his, her palm was warm against Ash's. For a moment, he was worried if his hands were too sweaty. He never cared about things like that before.

Damn these feelings.

"'Course I'm getting better," he voiced honestly, "You're teaching me."

"Oh—" Serena stammered and it seemed the compliment took her completely off guard, her cheeks growing pinker. "I mean, it should be clear that you're getting better."

God, she still wasn't used to him doing that.

Ash knew they weren't supposed to kiss anymore. He made her that promise, but hell, did she look kissable right now—as always.

"Lets get started, shall we?" Serena gave his hand a gentle squeeze. "Should we try with music today?"

Never one to back down from a challenge, Ash nodded. "Why not?"

The music, however, changed things as it usually did. The dance was far faster. Ash tried moving in time with the music, though a few times he did stumble to keep up. His hand on the middle of her back was desperate to move lower, and his fingers squeezed hers just a little tighter every time they moved into various lifts and poses.

Serena's body was flush against his when the song slowed to a stop. Her breath tickled his nose when he held her in place. His brown eyes flicked to her lips and his fingers danced down her back while her blue eyes followed his, glancing at his parted mouth.

"I..." She whispered, her voice husky with her chest heaving ever so slightly by the way she attempted to catch her breath.

Serena immediately pulled away as if remembering her resolve from the other night. She told him up front and from the look on her face, Ash was certain she meant it. The other night, she never pulled away from him. But now—

"You did nicely, Ash," she said with a smile, but didn't step back towards him.

He scrunched his nose. "Nicely?"

"You did well. Really well, actually." Serena clasped her hands together. "The best you've ever done when we tried with music."

He tilted his head. "Seriously?"

"I meant every word." Her cheeks puffed out and she walked over to her phone dock. "We should still do it again because your footwork is messy. The judges do pay attention to that, you know?"

He noticed how hard she was trying to act normal with him and treat him like a student. The way they acted at the beginning of all this mess compared. The truth was, they were so much more now, even if nothing was quite that official.

"Alright," Ash said, "We'll do it three more times then."

"Am I the teacher or are you?" Serena pushed play as she made her way back over to him, frustration clear on her face. Though admittedly, Ash couldn't tell just what kind of frustration it was exactly.

"You are." He grinned. "You tell me how many times we'll do this."

How many times did she want to practice the same dance where he held her close and their noses almost touched, so close to kissing one another? It was torture for him.

Serena had smirked, as if she came to the realization at the exact same time he had.

"How about five?"

Ash clenched his fist by his side. "Fine by me."

And so they danced the next five times. Then time passed quicker than expected and it was time for Ash's extra lessons with Drew once again.