Chapter 23 - One Text Away

Serena's phone went off, lighting up the dark room and she sighed, moving her hair from her face. Had she cried the most she ever had in a while? It felt like it was what she had done the most for the past few hours and she hated that.

[Text from: May]
are you coming to the dance studio tonight? drew and i are working on something new. we would love to show you!

Serena found it a little hard to believe. Drew and May didn't have time to start anything new. They just wanted to get her out of her room due to her locking herself in there since the night prior.

She felt like such an idiot, and no matter how hard she tried to shake the feeling, it wouldn't go away. She hated that she missed Ash too. She missed his damn kisses, the way his touch made her body feel. She hated that she missed the stupid way he danced and the way he tried hard even when he was terrible at it, or when focused and turns out, he actually wasn't that horrible.

She sighed and ran her hand down the side of her phone.

[Text to: May]
maybe not tonight? i think i just need a little break.

She hated that she felt she actually needed a break from the thing she loved most, what normally used to take her mind off of her problems. Instead, the studio kept reminding her of how she felt and her time with him.

[Text from: May]
me and dawn both don't want to see you sitting in your room all day because of one guy ok? someone way more suited for you will come.

[Text to: May]
lol thank you but i think i'll cut ties with relationships again for the time being. i believe i'm better suited solo with that and dancing.

At this point, she was certain she couldn't find a dance partner she'd connect to for the rest of the time at her college. They were second years and as much as she wanted to give it a try, it didn't seem possible currently. She loved her solo dances; she loved any kind of dance. She wasn't sure why this was so disappointing.

It was probably because she thought he liked her too. Not just as friends, but as something more. Why else would they have engaged in such intimate activities. Probably because he was a boy, a stupid, horny boy.

Serena sighed and flopped her face down into her pillow. It genuinely sucked. She usually helped friends with this kind of problem, but now that she was in it herself, she felt just as lost. She huffed out a long breath, rolling onto her back as she stared up at the ceiling. She wasn't usually into wallowing. In fact, she normally didn't like this, but it was embarrassing how she read Ash's emotions wrong.

She bit her lip and grabbed her phone, pulling up her screen. She only just remembered how Professor Oak had given her his number at the beginning of the lessons for times if he tried to skip. Technically, she had his number and could text him if she wanted. She wasn't sure what she would say. If she would call him an asshole, or ask if he was lying.

She couldn't get the image of his hesitation out of her eyes. If he wanted to, then why would he do this?

No, enough is enough. He said no. She wasn't going to push the issue toward or try to convince the guy otherwise. Ash was simply someone she didn't want to bother her further, especially after yesterday.

She knew laying around wasn't going to do her any good. She was better than this, nor did she need a guy like him. She sat up in her bed and swung her legs around. He made his choice and she was going to make hers.

[Text to: May]
hey you know what? i think i'll come down. is that offer of yours still up?

Serena loved dancing and it always made her feel better. This short chapter of four weeks was over, just as they had deemed it so. She could focus on new things now, new choreography.