Chapter 47 - Tasteful Gift

The first day, everyone was quick to realize Ash bedridden or on crutches was way worse than him normally.

"If you want to get better in due time, you'll have to calm down for a bit. At least try." Gary said, dodging a pillow Ash whipped at his head.

"There's nothing to be calm about with this," Ash replied. "I'm not supposed to move my leg and I don't like sitting still. Feeling like committing first degree murder is definitely there."

"Right, right, and I'm most likely going to be the victim here because I'm directly in front of you all the damn time," Gary said, trying to joke with his friend until he realized he was dead serious. "Look, I'd like to help you just as much as I find this amusing, but you calming down is a must.

"I'm fine. You don't need to help me. I'll go to the dining hall to get my own food and just sit with my leg elevated." Ash said, moving his hands as he talked.

A knock interrupted their argument and Ash glared sharply at the door. "We're busy and definitely don't want to be bothered!"

"It's me, Ash." A muffled feminine voice came from outside the room. "Serena."

Ash folded his arms against his chest. "I said we're busy!"

She was one of the last people he wanted to see. She was such a distraction, and he didn't want to talk about things he couldn't do.  She most likely would talk about dance and deep down, he would feel guilty he couldn't practice.

"Ash, please?" Serena said, her voice soft against the door.

Gary rolled his eyes at Ash and made his way over, opening it up, knowing the injured guy couldn't do anything about it. Ash turned his gaze away from Serena. She stood in the doorway holding a plastic bag full of small muffins, her gloved hands cupping the bag.

"I was hoping we could talk for a minute?" She said, biting her bottom lip nervously.

Gary looked between them with a smile.

"Have at it! I'll leave you two." Gary said, leaning over to grab his jacket before slipping out the door.

Ash kept his gaze to his bed sheets, not wanting to look at her. She wore matching pink gloves with a hat, the same ones she wore to the game the other night.

"I'm fine, Serena."

"For gods sake, I just want to talk for a minute," she said, the bag crinkling under her intense grip.

Ash pushed himself up on his bed, making space for her. "You're not heading out until we do."

Her blue eyes were wide with worry and her cheeks were flushed. She unzipped her jacket and placed it next to his bed, pulling her gloves and hat off. Her honey blonde hair flowed gracefully.

"I made muffins," Serena said with a smile and gently thrust the bag towards him. His brown eyes widened as he looked at the small brown treats in the plastic bag. "I enjoy baking, so I decided to make something for you."

Ash unzipped the bag and took a bite out of one. He chewed and swallowed; they were the best desserts he ever tasted.

"Serena, they're really delicious."

"Thank you," she whispered, bashfully. "I was working on them today, which is why it took me so long to stop by. I wanted to apologize... again."

She spent the majority of the time in the sports infirmary profusely apologizing for calling out his name. He kept reassuring her that it wasn't her fault. Though, he never would've looked towards her if she had just cheered normally.