(20)

"You're going to church?"

When I told Kate where I was going, she was a caught off guard. She gave me a confused look, then looked me up and down before crossing her arms.

"Amaya invited me."

"Ok, when can I meet her?"

"I don't know. We're not dating." I said, making her stare at me as I was sliding my shoes on. I saw her look me up and down before meeting my eyes, which I knew she was questioning why I was dressed like this.

"You're wearing that to church?"

"Amaya said I could wear whatever."

"But it's church." I shrugged as she kept looking me over, clearly confused but I ignored her as I looked at myself in the mirror.

I sprayed myself down with perfume, but not a lot before fixing my hair. I was wearing it up, but I was making sure my curly hair was ok in the back.

"You look cute. Amaya must be something special to be able to get you to go to church. You haven't went in years."

I sighed as I looked over at her. "I know, and I'm nervous."

"It's ok." She smiled.

"You do remember what happened last time I was in church, right?"

"This one might be different."

"You don't know that." I said.

She slightly smiled. "What about Amaya. She's gay, and she's going to church."

"What if they don't know she's gay? What if she introduces me as her friend, and it makes things weird?"

"You think?" Kate asks. "You think Amaya hides her sexuality from church?"

"I mean.. I would. They're not friendly when it comes to that."

Kate nods before slightly smiling. "Let me know how it goes." She said, then looked me over. "You should change your shirt though."

"Why?" I looked down at myself.

"Cause you shouldn't wear a graphic tee in a church."

"I don't own anything nice."

She smiles before motioning for me to follow her. I followed her up the stairs, and towards her room before walking inside.

I stood there as she was looking through her closet, then pulled out a while, long-sleeve button up. It looked like a man shirt, but Kate smiled at me once she saw my face.

"It's mine. It's a women's shirt."

"It looks gay."

"Well.. unless you want to wear a dress."

I quickly grabbed the shirt and thanked her. I saw her smile as I walked back to my room, and continued to get dressed.

As I stood in front of the mirror, I looked myself over before sighing. I messed with my hair a little more before nodding in aprroval.

After I had everything ready, I grabbed my phone and texted Amaya. I told her I was on the way, and when I looked at the time, it was a little before eight.

When I walked out of the room, Mason was walking towards the kitchen before seeing me and stopping. I saw him look me up and down before smiling.

"You look good." He said, making me nod. "When Kate told me where you were going, I was caught off guard a little. I thought you didn't believe?"

"I don't. But I want to go with Amaya." I said, seeing him smile.

"Have fun." He said before walking away.