She may have been small, but Kiba knew better than anyone that Ashley was not one to underestimate.

Holding in an amused smile, as Kiba feels Ashley reach out and take hold of his hand again, the two young Ninja continue to walk at a leisurely pace, enjoying the warm weather and each other's company. It had been quite awhile since they'd both had a free day at the same time, and so they had decided to go for a walk outside the Village.

"Are you guys ready to compete in the Exams?" Ashley asks, giggling as Akamaru begins rolling in a patch of flowers up ahead, his feet kicking in the air.

"Of course!" Kiba proclaims, winking down at Ashley. "Hate to break it to ya Angel, but Team Kurenai are gonna be the ones who dominate in this Exam!"

"Hn" Ashley smirks. "Then I guess I'll look forward to running into you guys at some point."

"We won't take it easy on you and Sakura" Kiba warns slyly. "We're aiming for the top!"

"I hope you know that you're gonna eat those words" Ashley replies loftily, before tilting her head. "I wonder what the Exams will be like this year."

"With Shikamaru being one of the Proctors" Kiba mutters, wrinkling his nose, "Who knows. Something for smart people I guess."

"Lucky I've got Sakura on my team then" Ashley chuckles sheepishly, sweat dropping. ".....I'm actually a little nervous, if I'm really honest. At the last Exams, we had a four-man team competing. But this time, it'll just be me and Sakura. We'll only have each other to rely on, and I have no idea what we're in for."

"You guys will be fine Angel" Kiba reassures the blonde, his tone softening as he lightly squeezes Ashley's hand. "If anything, all of the other teams should be nervous about you guys. I'd be wary of a team bold enough to enter with only two members. I'd be wondering why they're confident enough to enter without a full team."

Ashley laughs at this. "Maybe you're right. I mean, we kind of don't have any choice but to enter as a two-man team, but no one else needs to know that. I'll just have to tell Sakura to try look as intimidating as possible."

"Besides" Kiba murmurs, pausing in his walking and leaning down, "You know I'll back you up if you really need help, right?"

Ashley closes her eyes, tilting her head back a little to accept Kiba's kiss. After a few moments, the blonde leans back and smiles, her eyes half lidded.

"I know" she says appreciatively, her cheeks warming, as she and Kiba begin to walk again.

Ashley's POV

"Well, I guess this is the place" I say, probably unnecessarily, as Sakura and I slow to a stop in the street. I place my hands on my hips and gaze around, a large group of people standing in front of the building that we had all been sent to register at. They stand in groups of two or three, talking amongst themselves and eyeing each other warily.

I watch the crowd with a straight face, not wanting anyone to catch on to the fact that I'm nervous. I mean, aside from it only being Sakura and I on our team, it's not like our previous Chunin Exam experience was particularly pleasant. I can't help but think back to Orochimaru attacking us, a thought that leaves me with a sense of unease.

From the corner of my eye, I notice Sakura looking at the crowd hesitantly, rubbing at her arm. I elbow her in the side, catching her attention.

"We're gonna be fine Sakura" I assure my teammate, forcing a slight grin. "At the very least, stop looking like you want to run away."