Chapter 23

Edited 22/09/2015

Ashley's POV

"Alriiiiight!" Ino cheers animatedly, throwing her arms in the air as a weary looking Shikamaru makes his way back up the stairs, having won his match. "Atta boy Shikamaru!"

"Heh, you did a surprisingly good job" I comment, to which Shikamaru grunts, sighing as he comes to a stop near us.

"Thanks, but it was such a drag" the dark haired boy informs us all raggedly, running a hand down his face. "All I wanna do now is sleep....."

I roll my eyes and look over at Naruto, who is pouting like an unhappy child.

"Awww" the blonde complains, "Even that good for nothing, lazy bum won his match! When do I get my turn?!"

I chuckle quietly to myself, shrugging as we all turn towards the screen and watch to see who'll be up next. Two names soon light up the board, Naruto's eyes suddenly brightening upon seeing them.

"Naruto Uzumaki and Kiba Inuzuka!" Hayate calls from the ground floor. "Make your way down to the arena!"

"Yes!" Naruto exclaims excitedly, bouncing up and down. "It's finally here! It's my turn!"

Well, this certainly ought to be interesting. I don't think I've seen the Dog fight properly yet. Back when he'd followed Ace and I as we were going to train doesn't count, because that wasn't an actual fight.

"Hey, look at that!" Kiba laughs loudly. "I think we just won the lottery Akamaru! We're up against the doofus!"

"Arf!" Akamaru agrees. I smirk in amusement, despite my feelings towards Kiba. Naruto may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm slowly beginning to realise that he's tougher than he first seems. Kiba will have to learn not to underestimate him......

As Naruto cheers, Lee slumps with disappointment.

"Oh, I think I am going to die of old age before my turn comes" he mumbles to himself, that weird cloud appearing over his head again. "I just want the chance to show Ashley what I am made of..."

I sweat drop at that and slowly edge away from the depressed Lee, as Sakura turns to a now chuckling Naruto.

"Good luck Naruto!" she encourages, fists balled up with determination. "Do your very best!"

"You know it!" the hyper blonde replies excitedly. "It's my time to shine!"

He pauses to look at me, closing his eyes and grinning broadly, when my body suddenly seems to move on its own. I step forwards and open my arms, as if going to hug Naruto, when I suddenly catch myself.

What am I doing?

I feel immensely embarrassed as Naruto's blue eyes widen, the blonde seemingly realising what I am doing. Vigorously shaking my head, I drop one arm and punch Naruto in the shoulder instead, scowling.

"Ow!" Naruto cries out, jumping back from me and rubbing his shoulder, a wounded look in his eyes.

".....For good luck" I state roughly, turning my head away, though I do peek at Naruto from the corner of my eye.

Naruto tilts his head at me and stares in thought for a few seconds, before his face brightens and he chuckles.

"Thanks Ashley" he says, grinning at me again. I roll my eyes and begin shoving Naruto towards the stairs in a bid to get him away from me, something that causes him to laugh.