Chapter 58

Third Person's POV

"It's so damn hot out here" Kiba complains, unzipping his jacket and tearing it off his body, revealing a plain grey t-shirt.

Usually, he wore a netted shirt and plates of armour, but seeing as Ashley had cut his mesh shirt off to be able to heal his wounds days earlier, he'd had to borrow one of the other boys' shirts for the time being.

"Well" Ashley comments, seemingly amused, "It is Summer."

His jacket now tucked under one arm and his hands in his pockets, Kiba leans forwards to give Ashley a flat look.

"You don't say" he comments sarcastically, only to lean back and sigh. "I'm just saying, it's way cooler in the forest than it is out here in the Village."

"I like it better when it snows" Ashley says, smiling to herself, "But I don't hate this weather. It reminds me of home."

"It does get quite hot back in the Leaf Village too" Hinata reminds Kiba gently, to which he scoffs.

"Alright, alright" he sulks, jokingly. "No need to gang up on me."

Ashley closes her eyes and smiles to herself as she, Kiba and Hinata all walk through the Village, enjoying the bright sun, the warm breeze and the distant smell of the ocean wafting through the air. She listens to the rustling of the trees on the border of the nearby forests, as well as the chatter of Villagers and the clanging of tools as buildings are repaired.

Aside from the ocean scent, when Ashley closed her eyes, it really did feel like she was back home in the Leaf Village. This new Village didn't feel like the one she had been born into anymore, but it wasn't unpleasant either. In fact, it was quite comforting.

It made her feel eager to return home.

"Ya know" Kiba speaks up, coming to a stop and putting his hands on his hips, nose in the air. "I don't think there's a barbeque restaurant around here. I can't smell anything like that."

"Huh?!" Ashley exclaims, devastated by the news.

"I knew it" Kiba smirks teasingly. "You wanted barbeque."

"It's my favorite....." Ashley laments, shoulders sagging.

"I know" Kiba says again. "I guess we'll just have to have it when we get back home."

"Your treat?" Ashley immediately asks, her head snapping up to look at Kiba with sparkling eyes.

Kiba blinks a few times, sweat dropping, before he turns his head, his cheeks tinged a faint red colour.

"Y-Yeah, sure" he agrees awkwardly, much to Ashley's delight.

She throws her arms up in the air victoriously, looking forward to free barbeque. Kiba looks at her from the corner of his eye, holding in a smile as she spins in a circle.

Was she just happy at the thought of eating barbeque, or was she happy that he was going to be the one getting it with her?

Kiba's eyes widen slightly.

Wasn't it basically going to be a date?

"There's a stand over there selling noodles" Hinata speaks up, breaking both Kiba and Ashley out of their trains of thought. "Do we feel like eating noodles?"

"At this point, I'll eat anything" Ashley declares, already dragging Hinata by the sleeve behind her.

"N-Noodles it is then" Hinata stutters, allowing herself to be pulled along.