Chapter 29

EVELYN'S POV

Taking a deep breath, I tried to prepare myself for their reaction when they get to know the truth.

I am sure they would throw me out, so I tried to my best to look at everyone and bask in their comfort for the last time.

"So, I-uh, you know I have lived with Jack and Amanda my entire life, that's why I didn't know that they are not my real parents and that I was adopted. At first, I guess they were ok. Not the typical loving kind of parents, but they were fine. They really changed when I was 5. It started with a few slaps here and there at the start. If I did not do anything they told me to, they would slap or punch me. But, it turned to full-fledged beatings by the time I was 8. If I did something wrong, they would beat me for hours without any mercy. I, at first thought that this was normal. That hurting their children was a way for parents to discipline them and that all parents did it. But, it was later that I found out that it was wrong. So very wrong." I started nervously with tears in my eyes.

Stopping for a moment, I looked around and saw that everyone was frozen in their places. The ladies were crying, so were the young ones. The oldies along with my older brothers were looking at me in disbelief and shock written all over their faces.

'It was a heartbreaking sight..'

"Umm, so yeah, they kept beating me once in a while at first, but then they started doing it everyday. Later, it progressed to twice a day on some days and even thrice sometimes. T-They liked it when I used to scream for them to stop. I guess they liked to show me my place, which was at their feet according to them. So, as to not to give them the satisfaction of breaking me, I stopped begging them to stop when I turned 10. I stopped doing anything while they were beating me. Sort of like a switch, I turned it all off when they were hurting me. I stopped crying, pleading, screaming and literally anything that would satisfy them. They took this as a challenge and started beating me harder, wanting to see me cry. They would beat me to the point I would pass out from either pain or blood loss. I did everything for them, cook, clean, and what not, basically everything to please them and get at least one word of appreciation, but it never seemed to work, they always found a mistake in it and it gave them another reason to beat me." tears rolled down my cheeks remembering everything.

"They would do anything to make my life even more worse. They ruined my life. They made me regret being born. There were so many times when I would wish that they cut or stab me so deep, that I died and did not wake up the next time, for it to happen again. They made my life a living hell. They not only physically abused me, but mentally as well. They would call me a whore, bitch, slut, mistake, worthless and anything derogatory. After some time, I actually started believing them, that I was worthless and that I did not deserve anything. I had to start working at a young age to get some basic stuff for me as they did not get me anything. That is actually why I was working at that café."

"You know, I always wondered how it would be like to have a normal family where the parents loved their children and not beat them. You can say I was highly envious of other kids who had a loving family, knowing I wasn't ever getting that. I-I wanted to be loved, but I knew that I didn't deserve that. So, after wishing for some kind of miracle to happen that would save me from them for a few years, I lost that hope too." I smiled sadly at that.

Looking up, I saw ladies crying hysterically along with my younger older brothers, while the oldies and older brothers had clenched jaws, clenched fists and rage and guilt in their eyes.

"So, umm, that's it. Basically I have been used as a punching bag my whole life and degraded to think the least of me." I finished looking down.

They all remained silent. No one was saying anything. There was a pin-drop silence in the room. It was making me more nervous by the second.