Chapter 7 Davina

My mouth went dry and my stomach turned as Arthur walked up to us. His cloak was dusty from traveling. He had his hat in his hands. He did not look any different than the last time I saw him. He still had that sandy blonde hair and dull brown eyes. He had grown leaner since the last time I saw him. As if he had not been eating well. But Arthur Young was always a sickly boy. That hair had grown a bit longer, just coming to his shoulders. He ws very much different then his older brother. They were just a few years apart from one another, but vastly different.

“My lord, what brings you to Wallace Castle at this hour,” I asked. Trying to keep my voice from shaking from fear. If Arthur noticed, he pretended not too. His eyes still fixed on Mrs. Mactavish. She just eyed him with suspicion.

“I was traveling home from Edinburgh, and needed a place to stay for the night. I saw your castle and hoped there was a room,” he replied. I nodded and turned to Mrs. Mactavish. She gave the Englishman a distrustful look. She often told me that she never trusted the world of an Englishman. She said that I was the only exception. Which made me grow fonder of the old woman.

“Please prepare guest chambers for our young gentleman Mrs. Mactavish. I am sure we can find some room for the young man,” I said sternly. She nodded gruffly and motioned for Arthur to follow her. Arthur gave me a small bow and followed her through the door out of the great hall. I stood there for a few moments, attempting to steady my heart. I knew that there was nothing I could do until both Gavin and his father returned. They had traveled down to the village to break up a dispute between two clansmen down at the tavern. They had left just a few hours ago. Most likely it meant that they would be drinking alongside their clansmen. And with the feast in a few hours, I had to get ready. Trying to put the encounter from my mind. Even if it was just for now. I left the Great Hall and made my way toward my own chambers.

As I entered my chambers, my maid was drawing my bath. A hot bath was just what I needed to calm my nerves. I quickly undressed and slipped into the hot water. Allowing the steam to calm me. I scrubbed my skin with lavender soap until it was red. Once I was done, I wrapped a sheet around my body. My maid had laid out my dress on the bed. I had designed it especially for the feast tonight. Mrs. Mactavish knew the best seamstress in the village and we had worked tirelessly to make the dress a reality.

The bodice was red lace that came just off my shoulders. The sleeves came to my elbows that were trimmed with the same red lace then flowed out. The skirts were made of Clan Wallace colors; red, black, and yellow. I wanted to show both Gavin and his father that I wish to be part of the Wallace clan, and call myself a Scot. That I wanted it to be my home now and in the future. My maid braided my hair into a crown, with a few tendrils framing my face. With fresh flowers placed in the braid. My maid was rather excited to leave the castle and pick the fresh flowers. She reminded me of the servant girls back at my father's home. I stared into my mirror, and pinched my cheeks. Trying to bring some color into them. Just then a knock came at my door. 

“Come in,” I called. I turned in my chair and saw Gavin standing in the doorway. He was wearing his traditional garb, a white shirt laced up with a Wallace plaid over his shoulders. His hair was slicked back, I saw a sword strapped to his side. He looked like a true Highlander, and he looked so handsome. It made my mouth go dry. And my body flush with color. I was thinking about what it would be like to see him naked.

“Tha thu breagha,” he whispered. I felt my cheeks go red. I secretly loved when Gavin spoke Gaelic to me. He came over and took my hand, planting a small kiss on my wrist. His lips sending a volt of electricity through my body. One I felt in my core. I wanted him to kiss more then just my wrist.

“You are a true vision. The Wallace colors suit you,” he said. I smiled and took his arm. He liked the gown, that thought made me very happy. That means that perhaps my stay here would become permanent.