Chapter 16 Davina

Summer gave way to fall, which meant harvest time for Wallace Castle and the nearby farms. Both Gavin and Laird Wallace helped the tenants in the fields. Something I had never seen a duke do in England. Both Gavin and his father loved those who resided on Clan land. As they did this, I became more settled in my role as mistress and ladt of Wallace Castle. And as the crisp October air filled the castle, my life at Wallace castle fell into a routine. In the morning Gavin and I would take our morning meals in our chambers, often in bed. We wanted to spend as much time together as possible. Then we both dress and go about our duties around the castle and outside the castle. I would oversee the servants and their daily chores, I would often help Mrs. Mactavish in the small garden by the kitchen. Though often I would get glares from her daughter Lizzie. Lizzie could never forgive me for stealing Gavin away. Even though Gavin said that there was never a promise of marriage to begin with. I often took my midday meal with Mrs. Mactavish in teh kitchen, and she told me stories about Gavin in his youth. Gavin was not always a cavalier, and Mrs. Mactavish often made me laugh. I loved learning about Gavin, and the kinda man he was.  

In the afternoon, I would help Laird Douglas with the castle accounts. Laird Douglas quickly became impressed with my method of balancing our accounts, and still had enough to give to those who were less fortunate in the village. Most of the servants live in the village, and many of them need help. Help with their children or parents were too sick to work. I wnated to help as many people as I could as the lady of Wallace Clan. These people deserved our charity, deserved our help. After all they were the ones who allowed us to keep our power. After that, I would often go down to the village with Arran, we often would speak about his interests in medicine. He wished to become a physician like Garratt. And help the Clan like his uncle did. I thought that was a great idea, and planned on speaking with Laird Douglas to send him to Edinborogh to study medicine. Reside with his Aunt Edith as he completed his studies. I am sure that Laird Wallace would want his youngest son to pursue something that would make Arran happy. After all Arran had the freedom to pursue what he wished. And he wished to pursue medicine.

In the evenings, we all would take our meal in the Great Hall. We all spoke about our day, and often would either listen to musicians or dance. Gavin would always find a way to touch me throughout the meal or during a dance. He could never truly keep his hands off of me. Which I found comforting. When we retired to our chambers, we often would spend our nights making love and planning our future. Sometimes we would sit by the fire and read the many books in our chambers. Even with this happiness around me. The fear of Theo finding me was always in the back of my mind. Often keeping me awake long after I should be asleep. Soon after my wedding, I missed my course. Thinking nothing of it, I said nothing. Not wishing to get anyone's hopes up. I was sure that I would get my courses soon enough. In the second week of October I began growing ill in the morning. And my stomach began growing. I began to wonder if I was with child. In the third week of October, as the air grew colder and the sea winds blew I woke up and ran to my chamber pot. Emptying my stomach into it. I shuddered in the cold air, as I was completely naked from our love making the night before. I felt Gavin wrap his plaid around my shoulders. 

“This is the fourth day Davina ye have become ill in the morning, are ye alright,” he asked. I nodded before dry heaving once again. Not having the ability to speak about how I felt in that moment. When nothing more came up, I collapsed in Gavin’s arms. He brought me back into bed, and pulled the blankets over my body. He sat beside me, his face full of concern. He took my hand and pressed a kiss on it.

“I am sending for Garatt, ye are unwell Davina. I wish to know for certain that ye will be alright,” he said. He got up from the bed and went over to the fireplace. He pulled his trousers on and went over to the door. 

“No please Gavin, I am alright. Please there is no reason to worry anyone. I am sure that it will pass,” I said. Not wanting to confirm what I already suspected. I just needed to wait a few more weeks until I felt the child kick.