Chapter 23

I felt anxiety flare inside me as Gavin led me down the stairs toward the Great Hall. Today was the day I would watch as my brother and Trenton would either die, or be released at the will of Lord Nottingham and the king. And I knew in my heart that if Theodore was to be released today, he would find a way to kill me and my child, and get away with it. I prayed that Nottingham would do the right thing in this instance. That he would see Theodore as a murderer and a rapist that he was. We entered the Great Hall, and all the eyes of Clan Wallace fell to us. Today was the day they wanted justice. Justice for the late Laird Wallace and his murder. Nottingham was already seated at the main table. Gavin had him sitting in the center as the guest of honor. We would sit on either side of him. We walked up to the main table and he nodded at both of us.

"My my Davina, you are radiant this morning. Motherhood does suit you," Nottingham said. I could not hide the blush on my cheeks.

"Thank you my Lord, I pray every day that my child will be born healthy and happy," I replied. My hand coming to rest on my growing stomach.

"I am sure that we all pray for the same thing," he said. Gavin went to take his seat by Nottingham. But he saw me hesitant to do the same. He got up and walked over to me.

"Come Davina, let us take a turn of the room. We have time before the prisoners are brought in," he said. I know he could sense my anxiety. I took my husband's arm. And we walked out of earshot of Nottingham. Not wishing for him to over hear the conversation between us.

"I can sense your anxiety, it is written clearly on your face milsean. What has ye so troubled," he whispered in my ear.

"Gavin, you know what my brother is capable of. What he has done to me, and to your family. And the notion that he could be set free terrifies me," I replied.

"Davina, I swear on our unborn bairn that your brother will never touch or harm our family again," Gavin said. I stopped to meet his gaze. Putting my hands on his chest.

"You do not know that Gavin," I said. He wrapped his arms around my waist. Pulling me to his chest.I could hear his heartbeat. It was the one calm in my life.

"I have faith in God, and Nottingham knows more about your brother and Trenton then he lets on," he replied. I looked at him. What did he mean by that?

"What do you mean Gavin," I asked. Gavin gave me a smirk, something he did when he had information. Gavin motioned toward Arran and Garratt. Both whispering to one another.

"We have allies at court, and they are rumors that you are not the first woman Trenton and Theodore have assaulted. That is why the king has no love for him. Arran told me this," he said. I felt my heart drop knowing that I was not the first victim that fell into their clutches. That other women had fallen prey to both Theodore and Trenton. I know that he was trying to ease my anxieties. Yet I knew that my anxieties would not go away, until this whole ordeal was over. And my brother was gone, out of our lives.

"Come, the testimonies are about to start. We must return to our seats," Gavin said. I nodded and we made our way back to the main table. I took my seat next to Nottingham and Gavin stood in front of his chair, calling over two guards.

"Bring the two prisoners up from the dungeon. Tis time for them to face justice," Gavin commanded, the two guards nodded. Nottingham leaned over.

"I know you are anxious about my biases. Let me reassure you that it will not impact my judgment. I wanted to tell you that your father sent me a letter before he died. Telling me his wish to make you heir. And how proud he was of the woman you have become," he whispered. Low enough for only my ears. I felt tears prick my eyes, but I held them at bay. A few moments later the guards dragged Theo and Trenton toward the main table. Both men were ragged. Their once rich clean clothes were torn and dirty. Their faces sprouted beards. I thought I would feel pity, but I did not. I only felt my anxiety. The guards stopped them and forced them to kneel in front of us. Theodore looked right at me with malice and hatred in his eyes. Trenton looked weary and sick. He looked at me with a silent plea. As if begging for my mercy.