Chapter 17 Gavin

I saw Davina’s eyes go wide in recognition. And as if in slow motion her glass falling from hands and shattering on the table. I followed her gaze to the two men being escorted to our table. One clearly was her older brother. They both had the same black curly hair. But his eyes were different, they were cold and cruel. The coldness in his blue eyes made me reach for my dagger. I returned my gaze to my wife. Her once reddened cheeks were pale, her eyes filled with fear. She jumped up from the table and ran through the nearest door. I looked over at da, who had a guarded expression on his face. He knew what I did, her brother had found her. The same brother that had raped his own sister and leave her for dead in a meadow. The same brother who murdered his father for a title he clearly did not deserve.

“Go to Davina, meet us in my study,” he whispered, low enough for my eyes. Yet his tone was formal and short. I followed Davina out of the Great Hall. I found her leaning against the wall. Throwing up her food. Her chest heaving, her eyes glazed with tears. I raced to her, catching her as she fell. I brushed a loose strand of hair from her face. She shuddered at my touch, much like she did when she first came to Wallace Castle.

“Davina, my love Davina,” I said gently. She looked up at me. Tears falling from her eyes. I knew she was terrified. Terrified that she would be killed by her own brother. Terrified that we would lose our bairn. The bairn we had just discovered was growing inside of her.

“He found me Gavin, Theo found me,” she cried. Her hand covering her growing belly. I pulled her into my arms, I could feel her continue to tremble in my arms. I wanted nothing more then to kill him right now. He had caused Davina so much pain, so much fear. I wanted to run my dagger through his heart until he was truly dead.

“He does not own ye Davina. You are my wife, the lady of Castle Wallace. He has no power over ye. He will never have any kind of power of ye ever again,” I said. My voice trembling with anger.

“You do not know my brother, he will kill us both when he discovers that we are married, that I am carrying your child,” she whimpered. I felt my temper begin to boil over. My wife was trembling in my arms because of her bastard brother.

“He will not dare harm yeor our child, not if he wishes to die himself. That is a promise,” I said coldly. I would kill the bastard myself if he even attempted to harm Davina in any way. If he attempted to raise a hand to her.

“Come da wants us to meet him in his study. That is where he has brought your brother. Do not fear we will both keep ye safe. Neither my father nor I will ever let them harm ye,” I said. She looked up, pure terror in her eyes. 

“Please Gavin, do not make me go. Let me go back to our chambers. You can go speak with my brother,” she cried. I cupped her cheek gently. I would keep reassuring her that they would never harm her again. That she could face them, and gain some courage.

“Da and I will never let them harm ye. We will instruct them to leave and never return. Once they are gone, ye know that they will never come here again,” I said. She took a deep breath. Her eyes still have unshed tears. I knew that I was taking a risk. But I wanted her to know that they had no power here in Scotland and on Wallace land.

“Promise me that they will be told to leave. To leave and never come back.That they will never our child,” she said. Her eyes pleading with me. I pressed my lips to hers again. And she clutched me.

“I swear on our unborn child that nothing will happen to either of ye,” I said. She nodded, and I tucked her hand in the crook of my arm. I helped her hair and dress. And then we made our way to da’s study. I opened the door and entered the study. Da was sitting at his desk. His eyes were guarded. Something I had only seen when he did not trust the people he spoke too. I saw those eyes when he spoke to Lairds he never trusted. The two men were standing by the fireplace. Drinks in their hands.