Chapter 53 - The Call

Start from the beginning

"Do wolves really have soul mates? It's the only thing that was the same in all the stories I read. I mean, they weren't called soul mates, just mates."

Evan was surprised, even though he knew about it before. He had no idea where people got this information from, but he personally thought that some of the unconventional pairings, as they called human-wolf pairings, had leaked it.

"Yes, werewolves have mates," he didn't deny.

"And Kieran is not yours." It was not a question but rather an affirmation. At the same time, it was this sentence that brought them back to the original topic of their conversation.

"No, he isn't. And before you ask, I know who my mate is," he decided to confess right away before he started to panic.

"Okay," Rory was obviously trying to encourage him to say more.

"I always knew I had a mate somewhere. Wolves have a special ability. I shouldn't tell you, but it doesn't matter anyway," despite the seriousness of the conversation, he chuckled shortly.

"Once a year we get to look through each other's eyes for a few seconds. We never know when it's going to happen or what we're going to see. It's completely random and you don't know if you're going to see something that will help you figure out who it is right away or if you're going to see something useless. It's really random," he tried to explain as best he could to someone who had no idea about it before.

"That's so cool," Rory said almost dreamily. Evan never thought of it as anything special but hearing it from a human's point of view must have been really interesting. Magic was truly fascinating in its essence, and Evan only knew a fraction of it.

"What did you see?" there was undisguised curiosity in Rory's voice.

"A lot of things from the useless ones to his name. It even happened to me once that we were watching the same series at the same time and it took me a while to realize that I was no longer watching with my own eyes," he revealed. Evan thought it was pretty fascinating himself, so he had no doubt that Rory would be thrilled.

"Shit," he responded exactly as Evan expected, "That sounds so amazing, E. I was already quite envious of you, but now even more so."

Evan laughed at his enthusiasm, determined not to spoil his joy with all the disadvantages he had managed to come up with in his lifetime.

"In the last vision I had, I saw a diner in North Hallson and a guy I know. Since I knew his name, it wasn't hard to guess who he was," he began explaining again.

"So he's from North Hallson?" Rory asked.

"No, just his cousin, who he temporarily moved in with." Evan didn't like the thought that the moment this school year was over, Ryan would have to go back home. Although, he had found himself thinking about going with him several times in the past few days. After all, nothing was keeping him at Marwell anymore.

"Are you together?" Rory managed to surprise him with a question and Evan had to remind himself that he still hadn't explained everything to him, otherwise, he would be mortified that his friend thought he was able to cheat on Kieran.

"I didn't cheat on Kieran," he stated straight away. "No, we're not together. I met him a few months ago, and I've been trying to avoid him, so I wouldn't jeopardize my relationship with Kieran." Which he clearly failed to do.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it to sound like that." Rory only now seemed to realize what he had said. "So what changed?"

"It's hard to explain. We are literally soul mates. It works exactly as it sounds. Our souls work like magnets and when they are in a small distance, they will do everything to be together. Avoiding your mate is practically impossible. Trust me, I found that out first-hand," he sighed. He didn't regret meeting Ryan, but sometimes he wished he had approached it differently from the beginning.