Aromas of food seeped into the room from the galley. Waiters brought in champagne, and Cohen, the yacht business owner who'd greeted us, came forward and stood in the middle of the room, a microphone in hand.

Rys wrapped his fingers around mine as we listened to the speech. Even though he didn't seem to notice, I registered lots of curious gazes directed at us when my attention wandered away from Cohen's words.

Once the speech was over, claps filled the dining area, accompanied by camera flashes and clicks of shutters. Cohen sat next to an elegant woman in a green dress who must've been his wife, and I pressed a palm to my growling stomach at the sight of the trays with hors d'oeuvres.

Rys put a caviar tart on my plate, smiling. "I should've fed you before leaving."

"Did you hear my stomach?" Mortification slipped into my voice, but he shook his head. "It's the hungry look on your face."

I nudged his knee with mine under the table. A warm palm slid up my leg toward my thigh, bare thanks to the slit of the dress.

"Mr. Delano." I raised my brows while a nonchalant Rys pretended to be sipping champagne.

The tarts were just as delicious as the prawn cocktail and the selection of canapes we tried next. The couple sharing the table with us addressed us only occasionally, commenting on food or the luxury interior of the yacht the designer in me couldn't stop marveling at. Nothing was out of place and every detail served a purpose — from the lacquered interior paneling to the shiny marble floors reflecting the overhead lights.

The main dish — wagyu beef — was one of the most exquisite I'd eaten. Once my plate was empty, I set my wine glass aside and pressed a napkin to the corners of my mouth.

"I think they'll wait a bit before bringing in the desserts," Rys said. "I hope so, at least."

"There should be a special cake or something."

"Let's hope for a chocolate one."

On impulse, I pressed my lips to Rys's cheek. He rewarded me with a gaze so warm my skin heated beneath the thin dress. Chairs scraped, interrupting our moment, and several people stood, probably to take a break from so much food. So did Cohen. I discreetly nodded in his direction, and Rys gave me a lopsided grin.

"I don't want to leave you sitting here alone."

"I need to use the bathroom. Go congratulate him again. Later he might be too buzzed to talk business."

He hesitated for a moment, glancing from me to his prospective customer.

I nudged his ribs. "Go. I'm a big girl. And I really need to use the ladies'."

To drive the point home, I stood, and my date shook his head, tracking my every step with his blue eyes until I turned and strolled out of the hall.

A narrow hallway stretched on my right. My heels clicked on the marble as I headed to the bathroom. It was just as magnificent as the rest of the place with its gilded mirror and potted plants. After I emptied myself of the many glasses of champagne and wine, I left the stall and stood by the sink next to a dark-haired girl in a purple dress.

"Your gown is spectacular," she said.

My hands froze under the stream of water, either from the unexpected compliment or suspicion she needed an opening line to talk about something else.

I finished washing my hands and pulled a paper towel out of the dispenser to dry them. "Thank you. Yours is beautiful too."

It was true. The royal purple was an eye-catching color, and it matched her eyeshadow perfectly. Her sense of style showed in every detail of her outfit.