[ 𝟎𝟎𝟔. ] will you care?

006 , will you care?

"PLEASE, don't do this, not now— Not today."

     Soft and heavy breathings escape and enter from Evelyn's soft lips, pacing back and forth out in the backyard of her home, just besides the freezing pool covered in light ice due to the cold of the day, Christmas day. It was hard to breathe, from both the cold and from worry warming her palms through sweat. The intoxicating sensation of anxiety was enough to allow herself to act crude in front of a guest inside the house, Charlie. He was invited for the day, an early dinner and then the Cullens would arrive for a small gathering and party. He helped around the kitchen with Evelyn until she received a phonecall, she was busy preparing mild ingredients that she kindly asked Charlie to check who it was. His answer was gruff, but more concerned when Evelyn's face dropped a bit.

     It was clear she wasn't expecting this to happen, now of all days.

     "Eve, you said she was getting less angry the moment you've all arrived in Washington." Eli says, his voice was always so direct and flat, as if he's in a business meeting and he was talking to his clients in order to portray his lesser self to be seen as this higher man. It was what he couldn't seperate from his family, work and home.

     "Well, I lied!" Evelyn snaps without a thought and she glances at the house before indulging back into the conversation, more quiet than her recent encounter. "Luna is and will always be angry at you. It's only been a few months since we left Manchester, you cannot expect her to be okay with you, even a thousand miles away."

     "What made you feel as though you should keep this from me?" Eli asks, more concerned and guilty. "I would have understood, more so than you think and give you more space."

     There were a million reasons, to be honest. The major one's was that because Luna is still scarily angry and sometimes it frightens Evelyn to the point she had to lie to their father that she was slowly doing okay to assure him. If she had lied, there wouldn't be any issues in their lives now and now that she's told him the truth, it seems that solidarity of peace would soon end if this keeps happening more often. Emery has cut all ties with her ex-husband, Luna thinks of him as dead rather than absent and the only tie they have left of him was Evelyn who was always in the middle of every situation in their family to ever exist. It was exhausting, she didn't know how she always ends up in this situation and only just realizing at the moment she regrets it the most.

     "I have a dinner party to attend, I am busy, Christmas is over for you, I imagine. I'm sure it was lovely." Evelyn shifts, had stopped pacing and fully recovered after remembering why she's endured all this for the past eighteen years and counting. "But please, cancel that gift because you know it would ruin Luna's holiday. Give her more time."

     A large sigh comes over the phone, "I'll try. The space I can give, the gift's already sent, I'll see what I can do."

     "Thank you." Evelyn says genuinely, a short moment of silence infiltrated the call and she clears her throat, before speaking, she hears something in the background. It was from a distance, faint but coherent enough to be understood. How Evelyn wished it wasn't.

     "Dad! Dad! This train awesome I love it! Look, look... then—"

     "That's great, son. William, why don't you play with your brother for a second? I have to take this very important phonecall, okay?"

     "Okay!"

     "Evie? Sweetheart?"

     Evelyn blinks and realized a tear slipped through her eye and she wipes it off before it can roll down her cheek, pressing the end button and pulling herself together with her back turned from the house, hoping none of the habitants inside could see her. She hasn't met her brother, she learned he's turning three this summer. That he was small but he can talk so well, so smart. That her dad loved him enough to choose him. It was evident in his voice just now, despite disregarding him, he spoke with such love that Evelyn envied, it kills her enough to want to stay that way than to feel it ever again. Her head was tilted up, pushing back her tears and clearly her emotions that soon melts into nothing, oblivion.