𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

PROLOGUE , the fall

-

EVELYN BELIEVED THAT SHE WOULD MARRY SOMEONE AND GROW OLD TOGETHER. Kids were an option for sure but after watching how miserable her mother's life turned out, that wasn't on the cards now. She didn't remember when was the last time their family were ever truly happy together. Where they'd eat together in one table and not just wait for the other to finish to be able to eat in the silence of the dinner room. The last time they ever watched a football game like any other normal families that Evelyn ever knew of. She didn't understand when she was younger, how come her friends' family were all happy and open and hers was a total wreck. That did not matter because all she cared was getting through the day for her mom and sister.

Luna was a year younger than she is, has a bit of a temper than she leads people on. The last time she got so angry was when Evelyn broke up with a girl from a different school because the girl cheated on her. It led to Luna losing sight of her control over her impulsive behavior that she keyed the girl's car. And smashed the taillights. And slashed a tire- Evelyn wouldn't have known about it at all if it weren't for their parents sitting them down to talk about this situation that she didn't even know she was part of. After the very disgruntled conversation, Luna apologized for getting her in trouble with their dad but that she didn't apologize for destroying that girl's car.

Evelyn was friends with half the people in her school. She was definitely one of those girls you can just spark a conversation with and immediately fall in love with her because of her open ended self. It might have slapped back in her face, her heart getting broken here and then but when she met her most recent boyfriend, he made her believe that she can never get it broken again. Then there was an incident in her school that no one but herself knows of and won't ever speak to anyone as long as she lives, but Evelyn moved past that stage, hopeful with her life again.

Until it all ended the day Luna came crying to her, telling her what she saw and what their father did. Evelyn wasn't surprised, not really. Their father had always distanced himself when they were more older, tired of fighting with their mother, Emery, endlessly although it was much better if they did, get it all out and not just bottled in. So, when her younger sister who felt smaller than normally came to her, crying and devastated, Evelyn told her that it would be okay and that they'd get past this. They stayed in her room the entire day, listened to the distant arguments between their parents from downstairs and how badly it sounds. They've never fought this bad, it was all angered silence but now, it's like all hell broke loose.

That morning, Emery told her children that their father left and that he's not coming back. Evelyn didn't know how she did it, but she distinctly remembers not being as sad as her mother and sister were. They were crying and yet Evelyn was making sure they didn't feel the most alone.

"You have friends in Washington?" Luna questions genuinely as if that question was the most ridiculous thing to ask in history, not until she felt her head being smacked down by a magazine and in the middle, Evelyn hides a laugh by placing her palm gently on her lips, continued reading her own magazine silently.

"To think my youngest daughter loves me enough to believe I have at least one friend in Forks." Emery repositions herself on the airplane seat, sat by the aisle wherein Evelyn was in the middle and Luna right next to the window. "Yes, I do. His name is Charlie Swan and he's the Chief of Police."

"And are you familiars with this Charlie, mother?"

Again, another smack and Evelyn looks up finally, "I think that's enough of the abuse, thank you." She looks at her mom then to Luna who was massaging the top of her head, a playful pained expression in her face. "What Luna is trying to say is that we don't hear anything from your friends, mom. You barely talk about your life before you met dad." She expresses clearly, leaning against the seat more comfortably, her head hung to the side.

Always the doting daughter. Emery smiles, holding Evelyn's hand for a moment before speaking, "Well, Charlie was my best friend." For once, Evelyn was thankful that Luna didn't make another snide comment, hearing a slight pain in their mom's tone. "He and I grew up in Forks. Your father always said he was in love with me but he couldn't be. Charlie had Reneé, his ex-wife, and I had your dad. If you're asking if he became anything beyond than that, no, we did not."

Evelyn smiles, her brightness radiating against the metal tube they were stuck in for a few more hours. "Can't wait to meet him, then."

"You reached out?" Luna asks, leaning slightly to have a clear look of her family. "To Charlie, I mean. You told him you were coming home?"

"I told him my family's coming home."