13

Two hours later, you're standing at the door once more, hand placing the key card against the monitor. You're wearing your black wetsuit since you promised you'd go into the water, and a little bag containing stuff like your phone hangs from your elbow. With a 'click,' the door is unlocked, and you open it as usual.

The light inside is on, just like you left it earlier, but there's something in the air that wasn't there before.

He's... singing.

You remain at the door, awe freezing your feet to the floor. Jeongguk's voice carries throughout the entire room, and you know exactly what song it is, otherwise you would've worried with how sad it is. Heartbreaking and painful, yet so incredibly beautiful. There are no words, just a quiet melody, but you can see the ship sink before your eyes.

Hymn to the sea.

You stand there, listening until something interrupts you and alerts Jeongguk of your presence.

Your phone.

With the spell broken, you reach into the bag to see a text, but it's not important, so you put it back before placing the bag against the wall, and heading towards the stairs.

As soon as you reach the platform, you're met by those dark eyes. Jeongguk smiles gently, and you feel a little bad for eavesdropping on his singing.

"Did you watch 'Titanic?'"

"Yeah," he smiles. "Humans are weird. Boats are weird. But sad that humans died."

You nod. The movie is far too tragic for you to watch more than once every ten years or so. "You have such a pretty voice," you compliment.

Jeongguk grins and then he disappears below the surface.

"Hey, where did you go?" you call as you sit down on the platform, your legs dipping into the water and making it splash around you.

You have absolutely no one to blame, even if the mood had seemed just a tad bit more serious than usual. But at this point, you'd be stupid to think that he wouldn't try to scare you by tugging gently on your leg from underneath.

You yelp and watch him come up with a smile, one that screams mischief. Oh boy.

"Stop doing that, you fuckin—"

"Creature?" he interrupts, knowing exactly what slightly demeaning name you were going to call him.

You point a finger at him in warning, not pleased with being predictable, and to your shock, he pushes himself closer to you—chest touching your knees—and bites the air around it. The sharp sound of his teeth clashing makes you pull your hand back to your chest instinctively.

The little brat is grinning, his eyes crinkling and the wet curls dripping water everywhere. Usually, he smiles without showing too much of his teeth, but now, you can see them clear as day.

Even the slightly elongated teeth at the corners of his mouth. His fangs. You wonder if he has them on the bottom row as well.

"What are you waiting for?" he asks, still smiling. You'd almost forgotten your promise to 'swim' with him. "You want me to help you in?"

You narrow your eyes at him.

"You think I'm gonna get in after that? First, you give me a heart attack, and then you almost bite my finger off!"

Of course, you're only joking. Jeongguk knows that as well; your lips are curved into a small playful smile, a smile which you don't even bother trying to hide.