Part 15

Rome...

Everything was moving too quickly for me and I needed this shit to just slow down. We were all sitting in the hospital lobby trying to think of a way to keep Prince. Why would my child be put in the system when he has two fucking parents. Mani wasn't talking to anyone, she was just staring at the wall. Her eyes told me that after this situation shit would never be the same.

"Yo Rome, come here bro, Dre called out to me." I walked in his direction, and we walked onto the elevator and out the hospital door. He lit up a joe and started to talk.

"Bruh what are you thinking Dre said, with his voice muffled because of the smoke he inhaled and held in his throat.

Man to be real with you I'm thinking bout getting somebody to take care of that social worker fareal.

"Shid bruh if that lady dies today everybody gonna know we did it. He plucked the ashes of his cigarette onto the ground and then continued to talk. Mani pops save our ass from so much shit but if it's that obvious even that nigga ain't gonna be able to get us out of that.

"So, what the fuck can a nigga do? I asked." I started Pacing back and forth trying to keep my temper under control.

"Bruh I know you don't wanna hear this shit, but you got to get Brittany." She burned my neph, so if she confessed to it they should let Mani off the hook.

Man shit will go sour if Dro finds out. We don't need those types of problems, son. I have already got their son killed and now this shit. Damn, bruh I just keep getting in these sticky-ass situations these days.

Ya, bruh I hear you but son we got to do something. "I mean what's more important to you Dre said as he flicked the now cigarette butt to the ground."

"Don't even come at me like that bruh, really tryna make me choose, I said."  I haven't been there for him but nigga that's still my son.

Well act like it, Dre said walking and disappearing behind the hospital doors. I finished inhaling that toxic that calms your nerves, But I still hadn't figured out a place where we all could win. I walked back into the hospital and looked around. There it was I spotted the vending machine.

I walked to the vending machine and grab myself a lil something to snack on, then I headed back to my son room. As soon as I turned the corner Mani was on her knees. Her cries were intense they were the cries of a mother about to lose her son. This was the first time ever in my life that I didn't have a solution for a problem. She was begging the social worker to believe her. You could see the sadness In everyone's eyes. My heart just couldn't take it. Her mother chimed in, "Mam please is there anything we can do. The Worker began listing all of our options, but there were only three. The first and obvious option Is the bring the woman here who committed the crime so she could be prosecuted to the fullest intent of the law. The Second option is one of your parents can take him. It's just until we deem y'all fit to take care of him. The third and final option is for him to be taken under our care.

I was caught in a daze until I felt a force shoving me into the wall. GO GET THAT BITCH. Mani had her hands wrapped around my shirt. Her eyes were bloodshot red from all the crying.

"Go get that bitch Rome."

"Bruh, let me the fuck go, I barked." We were eye to chest and she must have felt the heat coming off my body because I was getting hot. Her ass let go of my shirt. I adjusted my shit and said bruh I can't bring her here she hiding from me.

"Stop lying please Rome."

She stared at me so intensely it began to make me a little uncomfortable.

"Please, you want me to beg you Rome, Okay ill beg."

She drop to her knees and started to beg me.

Please I'll do anything Rome, I'll leave I swear I leave no matter what nobody says. I just want my son back with me.

Bruh even a nigga like me had to turn away. I couldn't face her ass bro cause she was making me feel ten times worst.

Look Mani I hate to have to tell you this bruh but she duckin me. I would bring it here if I could. She got up and just started to walk away. I'll take him, Mani's mother suggested. They said a family member could right? Then I'll take him, Mani's mother volunteered. Mani was still in disbelief you could see it on her face. After everything was said and done it was decided. After Prince leaves the hospital he was going to my father-in-law's effective immediately. I was still blowing Brittany's phone up but still no answer.

In the next couple of days, Prince was finally discharged. The social worker had already laid down the rules of what to do and what not to do. Basically, we couldn't see him at all until they gave us visiting rights. We were not allowed to be within a 100-yard radius of him or he was going to get taken away from my in-laws as well. They at least let us see him before he left with my in-laws, so I was thankful for that . Being groomed into the person I am made me heartless. This was the first time in a long time some shit fucked me up and didn't know how to move. I didn't want to face Mani but I also wanted to be the one to comfort her.

The vibrating in my pocket somewhat pissed me off. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anybody about anything. I just need a lil time to myself. I pulled the phone out of my pocket and looked down at the screen. It read UNKNOWN

Who the fuck would be calling me from a private number? I answered and put the phone to my ear but I ain't say anything, I just held it. I wanted to see if they were going to speak up first because if not I was hanging up.

"Hello, Rome"?

I couldn't believe my fucking ears. I walked to the stairwell and walked down the stairs to the first floor.

"Rome Hello, Hello, the voice on the other end said.

Hold the fuck up bruh let me get in my car. I went to the garage where my car was parked and hopped in. What the fuck do you want Brittany, bitch I've been calling you. "You dare burn my muhfuckin child bitch, I spat."

Wait, Rome I promise it wasn't like that.

What the fuck do you mean it wasn't like that? "It was an accident I promise, I promise Rome I wouldn't do no shit like that to your child she said sounding paranoid as fuck." Why the fuck you been duckin me then, I said while sparking up another joe. I hated smoking joes but a nigga nerves was through the roof.

"You crazy Rome and I don't want our family to fall out over that fat bitch, she said." You know that's exactly what's going to happen if I go to jail behind this shit. 

I hated letting her ass off the hook but what she said was real. I either believe she wouldn't do no shit like that intentionally or fuck clean over her. If I make the wrong move the city will be painted red. She had hittas coming behind her and to be real this shit could really start a war.  

Thoughts?