TREINTA

CHAPTER THIRTY: SPAIN

I landed in a landscape of paradise.

The sun cascaded through the window, hugging my body in a warm, summery glow. I loved it here already, this mystical place surrounded by green forests and woodland valleys.

It felt so freeing.

I wanted to fully appreciate every second, breathing in the salted air from the wild beaches and admiring the Celtic history as we drove through the beautiful residential towns.

But I couldn't enjoy it as much as I wanted, because I was stuck in a car with him and my word did he complain the whole drive.

Aries' mood declined more and more the longer we spent in this country. His whole body clamped tight with tenseness and stress. It poisoned the air all around us, shifting from him to me.

"Is everything okay with you?"

He thundered on the gear stick, pushing it into the correct place like it was so effortful for him.

"This Vauxhall sucks ass."

"That's all, you're not happy with the rental car?"

He pressed his lips into a thin line and kept his focus on the road and I knew there was more, he just wasn't open enough to share his thoughts with me.

"Your hometown is so beautiful, if I were you I would return here at any given opportunity."

I held my hand out of the window, letting the warm breeze blow through my fingers. I hoped he would let me do some exploring, his hometown was a treasure cove of natural wonders and I really didn't want to spend whatever days I had here cooped up under his captivity, especially if he was going to be moody and cruel.

"Well you're not me." He answered sternly, pulling all of my attention away from the view.

I think I was starting to understand the bigger picture, Aries was on bad terms with his family, that's why he never wanted to come home.

He drove through huge white wooden farm gates and continued up the road, gripping the steering wheel tightly.

His shoulders held extremely tense, his jaw clenched, his face set into a frown. Those emotions cooped up inside of him taking a toll. The way he worked the gearstick and pedals took every ounce of courage that he had. I was beginning to wonder what he was subjecting me to.

Wheels of straw rested on their earthly beds, soaking in sunshine, adding their fragrance to the air. It was clear, Aries' family had money in the form of land. So many acres of space dedicated to the regeneration of food and the animals that homed in the fields.