TRECE

CHAPTER THIRTEEN: BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT

Exhaustion hit me like a ton of bricks, caused by deflation more than anything.

I sat on the edge of my bed, struggling to unclasp the buckle on my 6inch heels. My feet weren't used to such fancy shoes.

"How you doing cupcake?" Grimes stood in my doorway, looking messy with blood soaked clothes and disheveled hair. "You know, after this evening."

"You saw." I commented, reaching for my other shoe. His facial features contorted into an almost pained expression and he leaned against my door post casually.

"Yeah, it was kinda my job to keep a watchful eye on him, and you." I sighed, flinging my shoes across the room and letting my feet sink into the luxurious rug.

"I don't get it Grimes, everything he does is for his own personal gain. He only did that tonight so he could take the clip from my hands. He's manipulative and cold, I thought it might be an act but it's not. He has one layer and it's merciless."

"You're not wrong." He pointed out, walking over to take a seat next to me on the bed. "And I'm not making excuses for him but that's what Luxtonburg turns you into, a monster."

"Bullshit. You're not like that." I fiddled with a sequin on my dress and then skimmed my palms over the fabric.

"Mr Leventis was there longer than me, he was so much younger when he first arrived, only a child. Some say he was born there but I'm sure that's just rumours.

To him, everyone has a job and they must do it. You're not a person, you're a stepping stone to complete the job. He will walk all over you, because you're nothing but a pawn to him and he will treat you however the hell he wants in order to achieve his end goal."

"He's a dick who just wants to have power over everyone." I muttered childishly. Grimes laughed and then agreed.

"Yes, power and control." He confirmed. "Mr Leventis will use sex, scare tactics, torture, money, leverage, anything in order to have power and control over absolutely everyone he meets. My advice for you would be to lay low, keep your head buried and stay away from him the best you can or you'll not survive here with him. That and, get yourself some sleep cupcake, you look tired."

He left and I tossed my pillows around looking for the target sweatpants and T-shirt that I slept in earlier, they were gone. The beds were made up with fresh linen and my clothes had been taken away.

Breathing a deep sigh of regret, I pulled open my door and walked silently towards the North wing. Aries' door was open a fraction and I spied him sat at the bottom of his bed, taking off his wrist watch.

The door creaked as I pushed it open and his stare flickered onto me.

"I'm tired Scarlet, I don't feel like continuing where we left off."