TRES

CHAPTER THREE: LICENSE TO KILL

I stared at my detached license plate which sat across the coffee table from me. He had brought me back to his house after removing every trace of my identity from my own car.

I was freaking inside of the killers home, sitting on his country-style sofa and there was literally no way for anyone to track my whereabouts.

Hearing his footsteps, I straightened my posture and kept my eyes trained on him.

"Fresh blanket and pillow, sleep here on the sofa tonight." He handed me a folded thermal blanket and a pillow that appeared like it had never been used.

Then he sat down on the arm chair across from me, he tapped his index finger across his lips, thinking.

In this light, I could see him.

I could see that his eyes were a inky shade of indigo, so mysterious and secretive like the hour of midnight on a starless night. I could see how his hair was a rich chocolate brown shade, fine and silky. Messy but that only added to his rugged charm. I could see how perfect his lips were, I imagine if he allowed himself too, he would have a cheeky smile.

But above all, I could see how he was the devil disguised as some kind of sexy Spanish god.

"There's nothing but space surrounding us Scarlet, you can run in any direction but you won't ever get anywhere. I'm not playing games here, if you run, I will kill you, if you cooperate, I'm willing to protect you."

"Protect me from what?"

"Yourself, mostly." My brow furrowed and when he sat forward on the chair I flinched backwards. "You go running your mouth about what you saw today and people are going to come after you. They're going to want you dead."

"I won't—"

"You will. Sooner or later her face is going to flash up on the news, missing girl. The pressure will get to you and if you don't go running to the police right away then you'll tell your boyfriend or someone close to you. It's a complication we don't need. So you're going to stay with me, at least until her hype has died down."

"And, how long will that be?"

"Few weeks, maybe a month." He replied without a care in the world.

"A month!" I blurted out.

I couldn't stay with him for a day never mind a month, the guy was a killer! I'd actually be safer running back to Sean.

"You stumbled into something extremely dangerous Scarlet. The organisations I'm involved in are not people you want to make yourself known too."

"Are you—" I quietened my voice down as if someone outside our conversation could hear, "—in the mafia or something?"

He laughed, his smile brightening up the room.