VEINTISEIS

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: I WANT

"You killed him."

"I feel like we've been here before." He mocked, keeping his hands on the steering wheel and his eyes peeled to the road. The twinkle in them made my teeth grit together.

"You just killed him and then scooped him up and dumped him in the back of your truck like he was nothing more than a stack of hay!"

Admittedly, I wasn't sure how I felt about that. My thoughts so jumbled and conflicted.

"Great day for you then isn't it señorita? You had an orgasm, said bye bye to your unworthy ex and booked a sweet flight to Spain with someone who actually knows how to make you cum."

He slithered a smile onto his face and purposefully looked at me, not caring in the slightest about his inhumane actions. We were talking about losing a contest rather than losing a life.

This man blew the brains out of my ex not even five minutes ago and now he was just here driving down the freeway with the air-con bellowing through his soft but thick looking hair.

Everyone Aries ever killed in front of me were strangers. Everyone except Sean. He was someone I was emotionally connected to, even if those emotions weren't always good, his death still felt the most real.

I would be lying if I said I didn't contemplate killing him myself. There would be nights I'd watch him sleep and want to smoother him with a pillow. There would be days I wanted to slip pills into his coffee and watch him consume every last drop. Sometimes I just wished he would die accidentally or naturally, like in a car crash maybe or from a heart attack.

So I decided, I wasn't sad. I was relieved.

I couldn't buckle and run back to him anymore. Aries did me a favour. Sean was a parasite draining the life force right out of me and Aries cut him off, removing the last fragment of my old life.

So why did I feel like I had fallen into a volcano? My body submerging slowly into deep magma, getting burnt from head to toe the further I fell.

I was entangled with this killer and that seemed even more dangerous for me than ever before. 

I looked over at Aries, he appeared so normal. The sunlight made the blue in his eyes iridescent and brightened his freckles. If I didn't know him, I'd never believe he was capable of such crimes.

"I need to ask you something." I built up the nerve to say. His eyes were suddenly two heavy, shadowy weights on me. "Can you pull over?" He complied, turning in to the roadside.

The tension between us tasted bitter like salt on my tongue. He stared at me for a long moment and the doubts crawled through my veins.

"I need to know where I stand with you." My head was spinning like I was on an anti-gravity ride but a slow, wide smirk lined the criminals mouth.