No wait, one child was missing, there were only six by Lyssa's side. I realised with a sharp breath that Alek had killed the seventh child, Marnix, in Sloth City. Though I hadn't had any personal involvement in Marnix's death, I'd been an onlooking bystander. I wondered whether Lyssa knew of this, but quickly decided that if she thought I was in any way responsible, she would have already killed me by now. She gave none of her thoughts away as she glanced at me, a permanent scowl etched on her face.

When they were gone, my heart thumped even louder when I realised we were only one more arrival away from Pride City. All that remained between Alek's arrival and intense, awkward conversation was Envy City.

In comparison to the other cities, Envy City had a much less intimidating arrival. While their Goddess Invidia was pale skinned and had yellow teeth, I decided that if I was to be stuck in a room with either her, Lyssa or Adephagia, I would definitely have the best chance of survival with Invidia. That was until I noticed the shape around her neck, which I'd assumed to be a scarf, was actually a ginormous, coiled snake. It stirred in our presence but returned to a sleeping position as soon as Invidia's two daughters came to stand on her either side. After all that I'd seen, however, having a snake as a pet was a fairly tame idea. And out of all of the demigoddesses I'd met today, these two looked the most, well, harmless. Both of them were dressed in formal black attire, and their faces expressed none of the disdain or haughtiness I'd otherwise witnessed.

When they were pulled inside to be escorted to their rooms, I resisted the urge to vomit at Hades' feet. Alek would be arriving next, and I didn't know whether to be excited, angry or anxious of this fact. I was also curious. When I'd enlisted Alek to help me reach the North Gate, I'd convinced myself that he had good intentions for helping me. But it was only recently that Cleo of all people revealed to me that he had been spending time with me purely for the bounty over my head.

Alek had adamantly argued that, while he'd once considered the bounty and potential redemption in the eyes of his family for handing me over, he'd decided to push those thoughts aside. Then he'd disappeared despite his promise to stick around, and Cleo had the perfect opportunity to seize me for herself.

I realised I was gritting my teeth loudly enough for Hades to look at me.

Yeah, I was definitely still angry.

"Settle, child," he berated.

I shot him a glare. I hoped it was withering. "Don't call me a child, old man."

"I'll stop calling you one when you stop acting like one."

Persephone hissed. "Will you two please stop bickering? The Pride City representatives are here already." She gestured towards the horizon.

I followed her gaze and my stomach dropped when I realised she was telling the truth. Horses galloped in harmony towards us, drawing a carriage so dark it looked to be made of obsidian. Their pace slowed as they neared us, rounding the Lake of Lost Souls. The carriage and horses reflected on the surface of the motionless water. I blinked. Perhaps it had been a trick of the light or my fatigue from standing up all day, but I could have sworn there was movement on its surface. Most likely it was the tiredness eating away at me. I had been forced to wear heels, and nothing was more alluring than a seat right now.

I ran my hands over my dress, hoping to smooth it over while also getting rid of the sweat in the palms of my hands. Beside me, Hades and Persephone were the picture of elegance–faces calm, heads raised and body language polite. I attempted to imitate them as the carriage finally pulled to a stop.

My breath caught in my throat.

Oh God, could I really see Alek without passing out?

My heart pounded in my chest.