7. Chapter Seven.

As soon as I saw the twins stroll through the door of the cafe, I knew it was only a matter of time before they found me.

After they had gone to my apartment to check up on me and come up empty-handed, they'd definitely use the tracker on my phone to follow my movements next. It was just like them to be so invasive, always pushing the limits of what was acceptable.

Despite my annoyance, I put on a polite smile and greeted them warmly. "Thanks for coming to Bella Italia," I said, my voice betraying none of my frustration. "What can I get for you today?"

But my efforts at civility were met with a pair of icy stares from the two blonde men towering over me. Nico wasted no time getting to the point. "A job?" he hissed, his impatience evident.

"Yes, a job--" I began, but my words were cut off by Rico's sharp interruption.

"What part of staying low don't you get, Rena?" he said, his tone exasperated. "Getting a job is the opposite of staying low. We've been doing everything we can to keep you safe and hidden, and you want to go out and draw attention to yourself? What if someone recognizes you?"

I could feel the eyes of the other customers on us, and I didn't want to cause a scene. So, I decided to quietly address the twins' concerns. "I understand your point of view," I said, keeping my voice low. "And I'm grateful for everything you've done for me. But I don't want to be a burden on you anymore. Besides, with my new look and identity, I don't think there's much risk of being recognized."

Nico's expression softened slightly at my words, but Rico remained skeptical. "I don't like it," he said, his eyes narrowing

My eyes widened in disbelief as the twins brazenly made their way behind the counter. "What are you doing? You two can't be back here!" I hissed at them, my heart racing as I glanced around the cafe.

To my shock, no one seemed to care that two intimidating men had just waltzed into the employee-only area. The supervisor and bakers simply continued with their work, ignoring the twins as they pulled me towards a private room in the back of the cafe.

"Why didn't anyone stop you?" I asked, incredulous at the lack of reaction from the staff.

Nico scowled and pushed me into a chair as the two leaned against the wall, hands folded across their chests. Their disappointment was palpable. "What do you think?" he snapped.

My mind raced as I tried to come up with a reason for their sudden intrusion. "Oh my god," I gasped, "they know you two are associated with a gang and they're afraid."

It was then that the twins dropped a bombshell on me that left me reeling. "In case you haven't noticed, Rena, our father owns this place," Rico said, his voice dripping with disdain. "Dimitri owns this place. We basically own half the businesses in this town."

I felt a wave of panic wash over me as I realized just how precarious my situation was.

I had thought that I was being careful, that I was doing everything I could to stay hidden from the people who wanted me dead. But now, it seemed that I had been reckless without even realizing it.

"Rena, Rena, Rena." Nico sighed, shaking his head. "We take care of you not only because you're carrying our niece or nephew, but because you deserve it. You're family to us, and family takes care of each other."

I felt a rush of gratitude towards them, despite their stern scolding. "I appreciate it, really," I said with a small smile feeling a little sad.

"I can only imagine how Dimitri would react if he found out that you're hiding right under his nose, and with his baby no less," I remarked. Nico quickly chimed in, expressing his gratitude that we were able to locate you before anyone else did.