9 | Down the Rabbit Hole: Part One

CHRISTINA TWISTED THE KEYS in the ignition, the car roaring to life.

She adjusted the rear-view and the side-view mirrors, then turned to look at Robin in the passenger's seat, and at Finn in the backseat. "Seatbelts on?"

Robin nodded impassively. "Yes, because with your thirty miles per hour speed, seatbelt is crucial."

"I know I've said it a lot, but..." Finn pipped up from the back just as Christina scoffed out loud, "do you think it's wise to go there on Halloween?"

Robin's jaw tightened in annoyance. "Let me put your mind at ease, Freddie. Halloween is not the purge. And sometimes, there are more important things in life."

He sunk in his seat, lips pursed. "It's Finn," he mumbled, crossing his arms against his chest.

She rolled her eyes, and her head snapped to stare at Christina when she noticed the car was yet to move. The latter had her fingers clutched on the steering wheel so tight her knuckles were turning white. Robin's features slowly relaxed, and she tilted her head, trying to catch her attention.

"Hey, you okay?"

Christina was quick to nod. "Yeah." She straightened, hand reaching for the gear stick to put the car in reverse.

"I can drive."

"No, it's fine. It's just nerves."

Robin understood. After all, it was the first time they would be heading to Darwin by car.

            "You want to get there?" Finn asked as he looked at his bigger screen, the pin drop on The Rabbit Hole displayed before them in the blend of green and brown

"You want to get there?" Finn asked as he looked at his bigger screen, the pin drop on The Rabbit Hole displayed before them in the blend of green and brown. "What are you even going to ask her?"

Christina shrugged. "I have a list of questions. But it all depends on what happens when we get there."

"Is this even safe?"